Change homing between immediate and home-switch

More
30 Jan 2015 03:41 #55464 by tnl.lambert
Is there a good way to alter the home sequence while axis is running? I want to add a button to my glade panel that can home 4 of my 5 axes, and then leave the 5th to do an immediate home. BUT - I want to keep the usual axis home button working. This way I can home my 5th axis properly when I start up, log the axis position (rotary position) continually, and then use the logged position to perform an immediate home when I restart the program.

I need to do this to avoid damaging the workpiece, since another part of the machine is connected to the rotary axis during the program.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2015 06:50 #55468 by BigJohnT
You can use halui to home an axis but it won't home like the home all button.

See halui.joint.N.home
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man1/halui.1.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tnl.lambert

More
30 Jan 2015 07:49 #55473 by andypugh

I want to add a button to my glade panel that can home 4 of my 5 axes, and then leave the 5th to do an immediate home.

The Glade button could call some Python code to home the axes in the sequence you require.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/python..._linuxcnc_command_tt
The following user(s) said Thank You: tnl.lambert

More
30 Jan 2015 22:59 #55492 by tnl.lambert
Both of your suggestions sound fine - but what I have difficulty with isn't starting the homing procedure (from either hal or python).

What I have to do is alter the homing behaviour of the 5th axis, as defined by the INI file, after the INI file has been loaded.

I have a home switch that I want to use for the B axis (the 5th axis), but I only want to use it some of the time.

The other part of the time, I want to be able to home immediately, and specify the position value at which the home is set.

Picture this - I have a rotary axis that is interacting with some material. When I start the program for the first time, I attach the material to the axis. Then, I want to stop the axis, shut down LinuxCNC, and leave everything like that for a while. At some point, I return to the project, and I want to resume where I left off. I load the last remembered axis position from a file, set the home position to that value, and declare axis B to 'be homed' at the current position (so I simply update the software position, I don't change the actual physical position). This way I don't have to disengage the axis from the material in order to home it. This might require mucking around with how INI parameters are fed to halui and axis. Any ideas?

More
30 Jan 2015 23:06 #55494 by andypugh

Picture this - I have a rotary axis that is interacting with some material. When I start the program for the first time, I attach the material to the axis. Then, I want to stop the axis, shut down LinuxCNC, and leave everything like that for a while. At some point, I return to the project, and I want to resume where I left off.

The B-axis _should_ home to exactly the same place the second time.

However, it might be simpler to exclude the B axis from the homing sequence completely, have it _always_ home immediately, and use touch-off or G10 to set the apparent position when setting up for the first time.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds