Implications of different spindle configurations

More
19 Feb 2015 04:35 #56099 by tnl.lambert
So - I am running a retrofitted (3 axis + spindle) machine using repurposed ultra3000 drives. I want to be able to do rigid tapping, and a variety of other jobs that require precise control of the spindle. Right now, I'm using a 0-10V analog signal to control spindle speed, but this doesn't seem to work very well for position. What I need is a better understanding of the choices I have available. The issues that I am encountering include vibration (the PID loop uses the spindle encoder to attempt to regulate position using voltage), and poor orientation performance. I know how to work the orient module, and I've already got a nice g-code script with a prologue and epilogue written in python to do the heavy lifting. I am willing to rip it all out if necessary.

Can I use 0-10V for precise control? I've seen and heard of others succeeding.

How do I reduce vibration in the system? I can tune PID parameters and FF gains, but I need a very tight loop to make sure that my accuracy is sufficient. This seems to lead to more vibration.

Downstream, the vibration is producing very unreliable velocity measurements from the encoder. I don't want to put a lowpass on, because that will just slow down the feedback.

Any thoughts or solutions would be very welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds