Multi gear head - semi manual config

More
22 Feb 2015 03:45 #56199 by dracozny
After searching the documentation and looking at a few posts with 2 speed spindle configs I am a bit puzzled on how to go about this.
I have an ZX45 (RF45 clone) which has a 6 speed gear head. and I have a huanyang VFD. The VFD works I can turn it on and off with axis and even vary the speed but the obvious problem is if I am using a lower gear my Feed rates are not calculated correctly.
I do not really have the funds to automate the gear changing, and it's finicky enough doing it by hand. I suppose the easiest answer would be to just ditch the gears and switch to a single speed belt drive, but that's also money out of pocket I don't have atm.
From what I have seen my examples are only automated but I need to do this manually and tell the system what speed it's in, so I am unsure how to proceed. Atm I am running Axis but I am planning on changing to gmoccapy. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the end.
any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2015 05:28 #56203 by andypugh

I need to do this manually and tell the system what speed it's in,

I have 8 speeds on my mill. I choose the gear manually, and then the system works out which gear it is in by looking at the ratio of the spindle-encoder speed and the VFD command.

linuxcnc.org/dapper/index.php/german/for...gear-detection#39583
The following user(s) said Thank You: dracozny

More
22 Feb 2015 06:25 #56204 by dracozny
I don't have an encoder on my spindle. I suppose I will have to disable the speed control in linuxcnc until I can get an encoder.

More
22 Feb 2015 06:32 #56205 by andypugh

I don't have an encoder on my spindle.

You can't do tapping without one, and if you have a gearbox it might not be difficult or expensive.

This is Jon Elson's write-up: pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html
I did a similar thing with mine. www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical-mill-lat...c-2.html#post1212335

More
22 Feb 2015 06:49 #56206 by dracozny
I was already fully aware of the rigid tapping issue without an encoder. That feature is very far down my list of needs. Thanks for the info.

More
22 Feb 2015 06:57 #56208 by andypugh

I was already fully aware of the rigid tapping issue without an encoder. That feature is very far down my list of needs. Thanks for the info.

OK, so if you just want to choose the gear by hand, then just set up a gladeVCP or PyVCP panel with a control on it to set the gear, then take the output of that to a mux that sets the spindle speed to VFD scaling factor.

To drive the mux from the int output of a PyVCP / GladeVCP button you would need to use mux-generic as the other muxes only have bit inputs:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/mux_generic.9.html

An alternative to a panel would be to set the gear through G-code, if that works better for you.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds