Make Z-limit to depend on tool-length

More
25 May 2015 18:51 - 25 May 2015 19:12 #59003 by schorsch
Hi everybody,
I'm new here, hope you can give me a hint.

I have a 3 (+1) axis CNC mill running with linuxcnc for a while, works great. I do not have a toolchanger, so everytime I'm changing to another tool the length is unknown. Therefore, I added a tool-length probe on a fixed position on the table. I remapped the M6 command so that a tool-length probe is initiated automatically and the tool-offsets in the tool-table are being updated - this works.

To my question:
I setup the z-limit so that I can hardly reach the table with the shortest availabe tool. But when I put a tool in, there is always the possibility to drill in the table. Is there an easy solution to make the z-minimum moving that amount of the tool length? To avoid a hole in the table :-)

Thanks
Schorsch
Last edit: 25 May 2015 19:12 by schorsch. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2015 21:10 #59013 by Todd Zuercher
I don't think Linuxcnc has table protection.

But I've never been terribly impressed by that option. I don't see how it can help much, since the same operator error that would cause most table mishaps would defeat the table protection on other machines I've seen.

More
26 May 2015 05:28 #59037 by andypugh

Is there an easy solution to make the z-minimum moving that amount of the tool length?

It might be possible. (but it relies on the tool length being correct).

The HAL pin motion.tooloffset.z holds the tool length, and axis.2.motor-pos-cmd is the absolute axis position (I think).

So, on theory you could connect a comparator HAL component to the external E-stop pin to stop the machine at that point. (A warning before making the move would be better, of course)

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/motion.9.html
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/comp.9.html
Note that sum2 does subtraction if you set the gain of one input to -1: www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/sum2.9.html

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds