Simulator with only HAL and gladeVCP

More
21 Oct 2015 02:57 #64017 by h_munktell
Hello,

I need to set up a simulator for a machine at my work. I need to simulate different pulse trains and pulse frequency (and possible phase) drift. I imagine two HAL stepgen is the way to go. I do not want a full blown linuxcnc display like axis. Best would be to just design a gladeVCP and to be able to "script" change HAL parameter and pin values from there in a controlled way.

A test cycle for a "frequency slip" could be like this:

1. Accelerate both stepgens with a preset acceleration to the same frequency
2. Wait a defined time
3. Set acceleration value for stepgen B to another value
4. Set stepgen frequency to another value for 40mS
5. Change stepgen B maxacceleration
6. Set stepgen B freq to stepgen A freq
7. Wait defined time
8. Ramp down to zero

How would I to this scripting, with python? Someone can point me in the right direction?

Best regards
Henrik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2015 20:41 #64056 by andypugh
This doesn't sound like what is normally termed a "simulator" configuration in that it sounds like you still need hard realtime.

However, it is relatively simple (and useful) to set up a HAL-only config without the rest of Linuxcnc.

A HAL file (structured the normal way) could loadrt, addf and net the two stepgens.
I think for your test, to get a true realtime simulated "glitch" I would net the output of the unglitched stepgen to the X axis of a lincurve component, and use the Y axis of the lincurve to drive the accel of the second one.

The HAL file can provide a simple UI to drive the target positions of the stepgens.

Use "halrun" to create a realtime environment and load/execute your HAL file

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man1/halcmd.1.html

I do a lot of my development work in exactly this way.

However...
At the moment the stepgen maxaccel is a parameter, not a HAL pin. It is of the correct type and is stored in the correct data structure to be a HAL pin, however, so it is a relatively simple change to recompile stepgen.c to make it in to a pin. You need to change line 1080
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...571954;hb=HEAD#l1080

I _think_ that you should be able to recompile and install stepgen.c using "halcompile"

The same is true of the Mesa stepgens.

You can change parameters in a Python script, but not in a realtime deterministic way. Whether this would work depends on how accurate the 40mS needs to be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds