Extra inputs via Arduino?

More
31 Mar 2016 07:00 #72441 by racedirector
Hi all

I currently run a PMDX-126 and am limited like everyone else to 5 inputs and I am using 2 of them for touch off and limits. I have 4 pushbuttons on my machine that I would like to interface to LCNC, specifically PathPilot. I came across a few articles on adding inputs to LCNC via an Arduino Uno (or similar) and was wondering of anyone has any experience doing this.

What I want to accomplish is a Start/Resume button, a Pause button, a Stop button and a Initiate Touchoff button to trigger the same functions in LCNC/PathPilot.

I have tried to get the extra inputs on the 126 to do this but have been unsuccessful due to the limitations on my method so am considering the Arduino path to overcome the problems.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2016 12:00 #72456 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Extra inputs via Arduino?
3 pins can show the state of 6 buttons, if you don't care about detecting more than one at a time.

It takes a bit of clever wiring with diodes, but is a possibility.

I would probably use a LUT5 HAL component for each button to decode the pin patterns, but there are other ways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: racedirector

More
31 Mar 2016 13:13 #72463 by racedirector
Thanks Andy

One of the arduino examples I looked at used a LUT5 component however I do not know if I can use more than 1 LUT5 at a time, I am currently using one for my limits (all limits associated with only 1 input). I do need to delve deeper into the arduino stuff as I have never used one before and haven't previously needed one until maybe now.

More
31 Mar 2016 13:37 #72465 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Extra inputs via Arduino?

One of the arduino examples I looked at used a LUT5 component however I do not know if I can use more than 1 LUT5 at a time,

You can certainly have many instances of LUT5. I don't know what the limit is (that is fixed by the "halcompile" pre-processor, but it is probably 32.
The following user(s) said Thank You: racedirector

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds