PWM Configuration

More
24 Nov 2016 22:06 #83242 by sharpshooterser
Maybe this isnt advanced, or maybe it is. I converted my Compact 5 PC to modern electronics a while ago, set up EMC2 the way I want it, and it generally performs well.
I am using simple 5 axis China BOB at the moment - widely used HY-JK02-M. After initial hiccups, it performs as expected. I replaced the motors and drivers, and managed to get the interrupter to work as intended.

But, changing motor speed with belts was PITA, so I went ahead and purchased a Sinamics 110 VFD, not realizing its for a 3 phase motor, and mine is single phase. OK, I got that covered, I ll have it rewind, and make it a 3 phase in a day or two.

First problem I ran into, is the fact that HY-JK02-M doesnt have a 0-10 analog output. OK, nothing could of been done there, so I got another 5 axis china BOB, the ST-V2. It seems a bit more complicated to connect, due to sharing GND pins, and a lack of proper manual with pins explanation, but that will be solved eventually. First, I wanted to test will it work with my VFD and some random 3 phase motor attaches. Luckily it did. First, I tried it with Mach3 (that I dont even use, but I have it installed on my PC) because the available manual covers only Mach3 for setup, and its barely understandable. Somehow I got it wired up, and I managed to get a response from motor.
I disconnected the motor, and I wanted to measure the voltage on the 0-10 V cables that will be connected to VFD.
After a bit of searching, I believe I got the config right, and when issuing a different M3 command, depending on speed required, I get readings from 0.22 V up to 9.84 V (M3 S50 - 0.22V, M3 S2550 - 9.84V). Great! I wanted to try that with LinuxCNC as well.
Just to add, when booting to WinXP, and after starting Mach3, I get 0 V on cables.
Rebooted, and went into LinuxCNC. Ran the stepconf. Immediately I got the 9.75 V reading. Started it, homes, issued M3 commands, M5, no change on voltage reading. Ran stepconf again, changed values several times, inverted it, no change. It just displays 9.75 V (some small alterations show when starting EMC2, but goes back to 9.75 in seconds).
Now, I am scratching my head. What could I be doing wrong?

In Mach 3, on ports and pins setup, motor outputs, spindle is set to step 1, dir 17, both active low. Output signals, Output 1 port 1 pin 14, active low.

Also, I am still confused how am I going to attach the wires for drivers, e-stop and interrupter to this board. It seems like all driver spots share the same GND connector, and inputs also - just one.

And one more thing, I would like to set up the home switches, could someone recommend me some small ones, this is a tiny machine :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2016 10:40 #83259 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PWM Configuration

But, changing motor speed with belts was PITA, so I went ahead and purchased a Sinamics 110 VFD, not realizing its for a 3 phase motor, and mine is single phase. OK, I got that covered, I ll have it rewind, and make it a 3 phase in a day or two.

Depending on the motor this could be very easy, or impossible. Some inexpensive single-phase motors seem to be actually 3-phase motors set up with separate start and run capacitors. Converting one of those might be fairly easy. However if it is a split-phase motor without capacitors you might find that it can't be converted and that it is easier just to change the motor.
If the motor is a standard frame size it might actually be cheaper to simply swap the motor (and possibly sell the old one).

First problem I ran into, is the fact that HY-JK02-M doesnt have a 0-10 analog output.

PWM to analog voltage conversion is actually very easy. In theory you can do it with just a resistor and a capacitor. It is a bit more elegant to use an opto-isolator to separate the VFD 10V and the PC logic voltages. A logic-output device has better linearity (it actively discharges the capacitor)
goo.gl/photos/v1372XYowJUqNMnp8

Rebooted, and went into LinuxCNC. Ran the stepconf. Immediately I got the 9.75 V reading. Started it, homes, issued M3 commands, M5, no change on voltage reading. Ran stepconf again, changed values several times, inverted it, no change. It just displays 9.75 V (some small alterations show when starting EMC2, but goes back to 9.75 in seconds).
Now, I am scratching my head. What could I be doing wrong?

Can you post the HAL file so we can see what Stepconf has given you?

And one more thing, I would like to set up the home switches, could someone recommend me some small ones, this is a tiny machine :)

How tiny? Do you have the space for:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1mm-Inductive-Proximi...c:g:PZkAAOSwNRdX-6Vl

(You need to make sure you get the NPN variant so that you can connect them to 5V logic (they need at least 6V power, but NPN act like a switch-to-gnd) and the shielded ones (threaded housing all the way to the end) can be buried inside the machine castings:
They come in a range of detection distances.

There are also some super-tiny microswitches:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Ultra-Mini-Micros...vCbMZKmVI9ToKQG7WT_w

Or even smaller:
uk.rs-online.com/web/p/microswitches/6160350/
(8mm wide, ie the same width as the proximity sensors are long.)

However I rather prefer the no-moving-parts aspect of the proximity switches and they can be easilu buried somewhere where the rest of the machine protects them. On my lathe and mill they use shallow drilled holes in non-bearing parts of the slides as targets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharpshooterser

More
25 Nov 2016 22:04 #83318 by sharpshooterser
Replied by sharpshooterser on topic PWM Configuration
From what the fellow that works with motors said, this one can be converted easily. I dont know what frame size it is, but it doesnt seem standard, so rewind might be the way. That isnt the cheapest way, but I will look for a similar 3 phase motor.

The schematic you gave here, can I use it to attach the VFD to the existing board that I use - the HY-JK02-M? That would be really nice :)

Find hal and ini attached, dont mind the my mill name, didnt bother to change it, and I just wanted to configure the PWM.

I have just ordered these tiny micro switches, 5 in total, extra 3 will come in handy for a mill conversion that I m about to do as well. Just to figure out where to put them :)

File Attachment:

File Name: my-mill.hal
File Size:3 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: my-mill.ini
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2016 22:13 #83319 by sharpshooterser
also please find attached the manual for the board (lousy one) and the instruction for Sinamics 110 cant be uploaded here (too big file size) and this is the link to it

www.logosfoundation.org/instrum_gwr/harm...ts/Sinamics_G110.pdf

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2016 22:35 #83320 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PWM Configuration

The schematic you gave here, can I use it to attach the VFD to the existing board that I use - the HY-JK02-M? That would be really nice :)

It should work with any PWM source that can drive the input opto.

More
29 Nov 2016 19:27 #83446 by sharpshooterser
did you have a chance to take a look at hal/ini files?

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds