Multi motion controller is possible.

More
07 Dec 2016 02:29 #83723 by SteveenBaltierrez
Good evening LinuxCNC forum,
This is my first post and I dont know what are the rules but I will grateful is someone tell me.
The curiosily about the architecture of CNC, is that the linuxCNC can be configurated to add one o two parallel port for the purpose to have more sub-axis for the machine and these sub_axis of course will be controlled by motor or servomotors, Why I say sub-axis because the X and Y axis are general movements and then the Z axis wil have for example 2 or more sub-axis and each ones will move up/down by the software's decision. These sub-axis will be controlled by the second motion controller for the purpose of not combining the automatic process.
What information should I read o research ..... Exist sources for it...
Thanks you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2016 10:02 - 07 Dec 2016 10:03 #83736 by andypugh
You need to separate the concepts of extra parallel ports and extra axes. (And, if you want very many axes, forget about parallel ports altogether).

LinuxCNC can control up to 9 axes through G-code (using the G-code commands XYZ, ABC, UVW) but can also operate many more actuators controlled by steppers or servos.

The software step-generator (as used with the parallel port or simple IO cards) can only have 16 channels (ie, 16 motors) but I think that the number of stepper motors you could control with, for example, a set of Mesa cards would be reached only after filling up every PCI port, ethernet port and EPP port.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 10:03 by andypugh.

More
07 Dec 2016 13:04 #83741 by Todd Zuercher
Maybe It might be easier to give suggestions, if you give us more details about exactly what you want to accomplish. I have some machines running Linuxcnc with multiple Z axis. These are CNC wood routers with multiple heads for wood carving. I could share examples of what I'm using if it is something like what you have in mind.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds