Spindle speed control

More
07 Apr 2017 20:47 #91015 by beltramidave
Trying to install a spindle and vfd with software control for speed control. Using a Probotix PBX-RF breakout board www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/PBX-RF and RBX-1 relay board. I know this is possible, but can't figure out the physical wiring on the BOB
I have the the run signal to the vfd working, just can't figure out the pwm wiring. HELP!

Here is a snippet of the .hal:
# SPINDLE
net spindle-cmd <= motion.spindle-speed-out => pwmgen.0.value
net spindle-enable <= motion.spindle-on => pwmgen.0.enable
net spindle-pwm <= pwmgen.0.pwm
setp pwmgen.0.pwm-freq 400000.0
setp pwmgen.0.scale 240000
setp pwmgen.0.offset 0.0
setp pwmgen.0.dither-pwm true
net spindle-cw <= motion.spindle-forward
# motion.spindle-forward could be routed to the AUX connector instead of flood

# connect the spindle control to the relay pin
net spindle-pwm => parport.0.pin-16-out

# connect the shop vac to the flood coolant signal
net flood => iocontrol.0.coolant-flood
#net flood => parport.0.pin-14-out

net spindle-cw => parport.0.pin-14-out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2017 23:43 #91024 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Spindle speed control
Just had a look at the BOB you linked, it has no provisions for controlling a 0-10V VFD.
It can be used as is but you will have to configure the VFD to go to max speed with only 5V input, some can do that, some can not. I have an eurotherm that can do that easily, although max frequency is 240Hz.
Wiring should be done like so:
BOB gnd ( output side, not logic side ) to VFD gnd. One the the outputs you have configured as PWM to the reference input on the VFD (that is usualy the midle pin between gnd and +10V).
That should be good for half the speed, if you have no way of configuring the VFD.
You can also make a simple circuit to have it at full 10V, requires soldering, 1 darlington PNP transistor, 2 resistors and seting the PWM output as inverted. Adding an opto coupler to that circuit would make it much safer as some VFD have gnd at a diferent potencial, so wiring anything to them should be isolated.

More
08 Apr 2017 12:22 #91039 by beltramidave
Replied by beltramidave on topic Spindle speed control
Thank you for the reply. I am 99.9% sure they are doing it with no additional speed control board.
Pin-16-out is connected to the separate relay board (RBX-1). From there, I don't know what to do...

This link shows the connections pins on the controller (outside).
www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/Unity_Controller

This link shows the vfd connections.
www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/VFD_Spindles

I am using a Automation Direct GS#-23P0, see attachment for terminal connections.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Thanks for any help!
Attachments:

More
08 Apr 2017 17:35 #91058 by tommylight
None of their BOB's have VFD control outputs, the box you linked to has a 24V pin on the VFD connector so it must have circuits for that.
You can connect it as i mentioned earlier, but if you have a DVM please do check the voltage diferential between BOB gnd and VFD gnd.
You could just connect a wire between the grounds and if it does not spark move on to connecting other wires.
Usualy there is no problem connecting like this, i have done it several times but i have read that some VFD have ground (gnd) at over 100V in reference to normal ground.

More
09 Apr 2017 00:59 #91061 by tommylight
The pdf you attached can not be opened, it opens as a single blank page. Could you please try attaching it again?

More
09 Apr 2017 08:30 #91074 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Spindle speed control

The pdf you attached can not be opened, it opens as a single blank page. Could you please try attaching it again?

It opens OK natively on Chrome on my Chromebook.

More
09 Apr 2017 10:04 #91080 by beltramidave
Here is the attachment again. I haven't had a chance to look into this further yet.
Thanks,
Dave

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
09 Apr 2017 11:38 #91083 by tommylight
It does not open on my phone.
Will have a look later when i get to my laptop.

More
10 Apr 2017 11:46 #91111 by beltramidave
Guess, I was wrong...Probotix just verified to me that they do have a speed control circuit wired into their newer controllers. Looks like I will be getting a C6 board.
Sorry for my mistake.

More
10 Apr 2017 12:22 #91116 by tommylight
Yup, that should be correct. That is the proper way of controling high voltage equipment, namely the have to be isolated from each other but still communicate properly, no isolation tends to make smoke.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds