8 position toolchanger for a lathe mesa 7i76e

More
15 Apr 2018 13:08 #109069 by kor
Hi,
I purchased an 8 position toolchanger for my diy lathe project :)
To control it I have to switch basically 3 diffrent relays (2 for direction one for an electromagnet) very fast (max 30 ms) after certain signals come in.
The position is given by a 4 bit plus parity sensor.
In addition I got a strobe signal which if I interpret it correctly gives a pulse every time the toolchanger runs over a locking position.
I am using the Mesa 7i76e with some simens sirius 3 phase relays for the direction. and a normal relay for the electromagnet.

How would you approach this problem

Here is the signal page from the manual:

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

kind regards
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2018 15:48 - 24 Apr 2018 15:50 #109549 by andypugh
Have a look at the "carousel" HAL component.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/carousel.9.html

(edit)

To use the Parity input you would need the updated version in the development branch of LinuxCNC.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/carousel.9.html

Is the changer from a Weiler lathe by any chance?
Last edit: 24 Apr 2018 15:50 by andypugh.

More
24 Apr 2018 17:02 #109557 by kor
It is a used Sauter tool changer. I got no clue which machine it was on. Once I get my Linux NC up and running again I will definitely try the carousel object.
Are there any examples for using the carousel Hal? I don't really see how you can tell it:
Wait for this bit code then start locking by reversing the direction waiting for preindex bit switching electromagnet wait for position bits and switch of motor. This seems to me fairly complex.

More
24 Apr 2018 17:41 #109559 by andypugh

Are there any examples for using the carousel Hal? I don't really see how you can tell it:
Wait for this bit code then start locking by reversing the direction waiting for preindex bit switching electromagnet wait for position bits and switch of motor. This seems to me fairly complex.

Typically you would do the actual tool change and sequencing in a G-code subroutine.

There is an example here (for a milling machine, but the logic is identical).
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/master...smach/VMC_toolchange

toolchange.ngc is the G-code routine that handles the sequence (and fault handling) and there are two .hal files for two different types of toolchanger logic. toolchange_gray for a gray-coded changer and toolchenge_index for a pulse-per tool + tool-1 marker. Other types are supported, including BCD in the updated version.
The .py files can be used unmodified, they arrange for M6 to call the toolchange.ngc file. For a lathe you would probably remap the T command instead.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds