2.8pre gantry racking

More
07 Jun 2018 19:28 #111925 by llamatrails
Replied by llamatrails on topic 2.8pre gantry racking
Yeah, and I don't see it with my fluke meter or the hal meter. This wires through a Gecko G540.

Off to the 2nd parallel port ...

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2018 19:39 #111927 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 2.8pre gantry racking
Does halmeter show the home-pins actually change state? (joint.0.home-sw-in, joint.1.home-sw-in )

More
07 Jun 2018 20:33 #111933 by andypugh
Try setting HOME_IS_SHARED

It is possible that the homing moves are starting before the other axes are off of the (shared) switch.

More
07 Jun 2018 22:04 #111942 by llamatrails
Yes the halmeter does show the pins changing state. All are FALSE and turn to TRUE when I trip them one by one.
I've also tried setting HOME_IS_SHARED both ways, 0 and 1 to no avail.

Z completes, the Y completes, both are at HOME which is not touching the micro switch. The gantry (X) will then head towards the switches, X0 will trip and back off, X1 will then head in, trip the switch and keep going as though it never found the switch.

My next move is to move the shared switches as they are on pins 11/12 of parallel port 0 to 11/12 of parallel port 1. I want to proof to myself that the wiring and ini/hal files are ok, maybe the G540 in the way somehow.

Rick

More
07 Jun 2018 23:12 #111950 by andypugh
Can I suggest using Halscope to watch the joint.N.home-sw-in pins, just to make completely sure that they are tripping during the actual sequence?

More
07 Jun 2018 23:44 #111952 by llamatrails
Yep, will do.

Rick

More
08 Jun 2018 21:15 #112025 by llamatrails
Well, the saga is over.

I moved the home switches to a second parallel port card so I could have enough pins for separate home switches instead of paralleling them. Same issue, the X axis would set one side and rack the other. Grrr. Halscope does show the joint.N.home-sw-in tripping as expected.

Since it made a difference before, I swapped the pins for the X joints in the hal file. Success !!! It now homes ZYXX as I want, and works repeatedly.

Why the pin swap makes a difference I don't know. Different parallel port, cable, BOB, individual wiring to the micro switches, all gave the same problem. After all this and finally getting a working system, I got an update notice for 2.8pre. May swap the pins back to see if the update does anything when I have some time.

Off to make parts again.

Thanks all,
Rick

More
08 Jun 2018 21:50 #112028 by andypugh

Why the pin swap makes a difference I don't know. Different parallel port, cable, BOB, individual wiring to the micro switches, all gave the same problem. After all this and finally getting a working system, I got an update notice for 2.8pre. May swap the pins back to see if the update does anything when I have some time.

I wouldn't expect the update to have any effect. I am pretty sure nothing much has changed there.

homing.c hasn't changed since february last year: github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/commits/mas.../emc/motion/homing.c

Can you show us the before and after versions of the code, perhaps it is in some way explicable?

More
08 Jun 2018 21:58 #112029 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 2.8pre gantry racking
I suspect your changes confirmed a wiring error on your part. I had a similar problem as yours once and eventually I worked out that I had swapped the stepper driver wiring around so X1 was using X2's homing switch and vice versa.

It did my head in trying to debug this fault. Eventually I slowed the homing velocities to a crawl and got a clue about what was wrong.

More
09 Jun 2018 00:56 #112034 by llamatrails
@rodw: Bingo, that makes perfect sense !! I must have the X0 and X1 switches flipped. Agghh, that explains why swapping the parallel port pins in the hal file for the home switches got it sorted out after I put them on unique pins.

I built this bot 9 years ago, and haven't used it for the last couple of years. Have a need now, and added in the home switches with the software upgrade this week. Guess I have the motors marked wrong and it never mattered which joint was which on the X axis until I added in the home switches. Sigh.

Thanks again,
Rick
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds