2.8pre and halui pins

More
22 Jun 2018 13:13 #112759 by blazini36
I'm running 2.8pre from the 7i96 branch because afaik that is the only support for the Mesa 7i96 board. I'm not fully aware of everything related to the joints-axis change but I believe I understand the purpose. I have typical configs that I let 2.8pre auto convert and have not had issues. I have a config for a machine that uses a custom python program (not written by me) that handles alot of custom stuff.

There were some python errors that cropped up after the move of this config to 2.8pre that the programmer more or less sorted out but currently the motors do not move. I compared old hal/ini files against the ones that are converted for 2.8 and noticed (amongst other things) that the "halui.jog" pins no longer seem to be created and now it is "halui.axis" or "halui.joint". the program relied heavily on the jog function previously. I'm trying to figure out if just changing the jog call in python to "axis" is the correct way to handle this, or there's something that should be done to the hal file instead. I don't know much about python but I'll be passing it on to the programmer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
22 Jun 2018 18:38 #112781 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic 2.8pre and halui pins
I've seen that. Doing some poking around I think the jog command just isn't making it's way through the python module and into hal. I'm not really upto snuff on the python stuff but I understand hal fairly well. I guess I'm trying to figure out where the jog calls in python can be realized in hal. At some point the the python call needs to hit a signal in hal in order to communicate with the hardware right?

More
23 Jun 2018 18:27 #112798 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic 2.8pre and halui pins
The python program probably talks directly to linuxcnc using NML messages, using the linuxcnc module, so doesn't use HAL at all.
While saying that I'm actually guessing because you have not shown us any code for what you are trying to do.

Jogging has changed a lot for the JA changes because jogging joints is handled separately to jogging axes. Your python code will need to be updated for the change.

gmoccapy, gscreen, and hal_glib can be examples of how they handled it - there is no example code anywhere that I know of.

Chris M

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds