USB Relay Board to control solenoid valves and shop vac

More
08 Oct 2018 20:57 #118562 by silden
Hi All,
I plan to control a couple solenoid vales and the on/off of my dust extractor though G-code.
For this I wrote some user macros and all is good on this point, but I would like to use a USB relay board to control the valves physically. This would ease up the wiring and speed up the implementation.

My question is is there any documentation how to integrate a USB relay board, like the Tormach USB M-Code I/O Interface Kit or any no-name board.

Thank you,
Denis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2018 23:43 #118567 by InMyDarkestHour
A custom driver would need to be written to expose HAL pins. Which I guess would require some insight into how to talk to the USB relay board in question.

A second Parallel port board would be a solution that would be simpler to integrate, or connecting relays to any left over signals of your chosen interface.

More
08 Oct 2018 23:48 #118568 by cmorley
You would need info about the software interface to the USB board.
Then you would write a driver in say C or python to talk to it.

I have written a similar idea driver for a VFD that used a serial protocol.
In this case I used a USB to serial converter.

You may be able to find software info about the Tormach USB I/O kit from looking at the Tormach source code.

Chris M

More
09 Oct 2018 04:52 #118576 by silden
Hi Guys,
Thank you for reply.
I can use some outputs of my 7i76 to control these relays.
I only tried to avoid the long wiring for this.

Where I can find the source code of Path pilot to check how their relay board is working?
It seems that they use M64 and M65 to write some trigger to the board.

Thanks,
Denis

More
09 Oct 2018 14:26 #118585 by andypugh
+Tormach probably supply a HAL driver for their board, and then the G-code HAL outputs are connected to that.

It is possible that they simply use hal_input and have the relays pretend to be LEDs.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man1/hal_input.1.html

(Looking at the code I think that the manpage above has the LED directions the wrong way round)

If (and only if) the Tormach USB relay board declares itself as a USB_HID device then it would be easy to modify hal_input to work with whatever the relays actually claim to be.

More
09 Oct 2018 14:28 #118586 by andypugh

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds