8i20 for tension control?

More
17 Oct 2018 04:38 #118921 by blazini36
I've been bouncing this idea around in my head for a machine that I think the torque mode 8i20 and a servo would be good for. Tough to explain it's purpose but it would be used to pull a web of paper under constant tension as it's fed from some other machine behind it. So if the previous machine speed up the 8i20s servo would have to speed up to keep pulling at the same tension (or maintain the same current) , Sort of like this video of a clearpath servo running in torque mode: Clearpath torque command

The difference being that I'm not sure that I'd have to supply a "digital torque command" in the form of PWM like with the Clearpath. If torque is directly related to current, the "torque" adjustment should just be a current command from linuxcnc. With no velocity command, the motor should speed up as fast as necessary to try to maintain the commanded current value. Curious about thoughts on this before I go building another wacky machine to prove an idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2018 22:16 #119028 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 8i20 for tension control?
The miracle of PID probably means that both methods work about as well as each other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds