8i20 Current limit

More
18 Oct 2018 04:04 #118977 by blazini36
8i20 Current limit was created by blazini36
Looking to get the most out of my 1hp BLDC spindle motor I'm trying to figure out a practical current limit. The motor is rated at 750w (1hp) and I'm running 240v AC rectified to 340v DC. At 340v 750w comes up at 2.2 amps which probably wouldn't even get the spindle up to speed in the air. I have The BLDC current limit set to 7 amps which seems to be close to the original drives performance. Is there any way of figuring out what the motor can actually handle, or is it a matter of as long as I can keep it cool?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2018 22:21 #119031 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 8i20 Current limit
Does the motor have a temperature sensor in it? That would be good for peace of mind.

More
19 Oct 2018 00:23 #119037 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic 8i20 Current limit
No. I stuck a 12v PC fan on it for the time being that actually works very well as a blower. The motor originally had a fan blade on the tail shaft but I removed it to add an encoder. I plan to switch to the 14mm version of this hollow shaft encoder ENC-A6SI-2500-551-H and make a shroud for the 12v fan so it's a legit blower cooled servo. I was thinking of putting a thermostat on the case or maybe some type of analog sensor.

I'm curios if the motor case temp is really my only concern as far as the motor goes. The motor has an aluminum case with vanes And so far it doesn't look like keeping it cool is going to be an issue.

More
19 Oct 2018 00:41 #119039 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 8i20 Current limit

I'm curios if the motor case temp is really my only concern as far as the motor goes.

No, motor internal winding temperature is the concern (and magnet temperature)
Which is why many servo motors have a thermistor buried in the windings for an accurate measure of internal temperature.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds