Use linuxCNC as controller for production automation robot

More
26 Oct 2018 21:44 #119486 by rogerxue
Hi, I want to setup a simple automation production line:
- an arm controlled by stepper/servo pick up a work piece
- a spray head mounted on a linear rail powered by stepper/servo do some pre-configured paint move
- the arm put the work piece back on the shelf

I can use arduino/RPi to do the stepping, but I'd like to use G code and linuxCNC since it has some build-in function like stepper driver, acceleration limit, motion limit etc.

is it something linuxCNC can do or support?

I already have couple CNC configured to use linuxCNC, so I know the basics

thanks for the help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2018 21:54 #119488 by tommylight
That should be fairly easy with the use of digital inputs and switches to notify Linuxcnc when the part is at whatever position it should be, do whatever has to be done, move to another position etc. Most probably all of it can be controlled in gcode.

More
26 Oct 2018 22:10 #119492 by rogerxue
Thanks, I also think it's possible in theory, but would love to see a concrete example. Is there any such setup, I can take a look?

More
27 Oct 2018 01:33 #119497 by andypugh
I can think of examples that I have seen, but I am coming up blank with Youtube searches.

LinuxCNC can do all that you describe (including the stepping).
In theory LinuxCNC running on the Pi you mention can do everything. (I am not at all clear how you intended to do stepping with a Pi _without_ LinuxCNC) But at this point in time using a Pi is a research project rather than a solution.

You _probably_ want to have a external interface card rather than run a PC and parallel port. (Though that probably would work very well for what you describe, it does smell of old-school and amateur bodging)

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds