Bipod setup

More
27 Sep 2010 14:41 #4367 by Schnitti
Replied by Schnitti on topic Re:Updating
Built-in Ubuntu Updater.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2010 15:06 #4370 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Updating
Schnitti wrote:

Built-in Ubuntu Updater.

That will break EMC2.
EMC2 relies on a patched, custom, kernel which handles the real-time stuff. A standard Ubuntu installation will install the default Ubuntu kernel for 10.04.
I _think_ that you can install from the LiveCD without overwriting everything on the HD. (downloadable from the link on the left)

More
27 Sep 2010 18:35 #4375 by Schnitti
Replied by Schnitti on topic Re:Updating
Hi,

Using built-in Updater is very useful, if you do it right.

The update-manager (UM) will deactivate all third party repos, like emc2 in its first run. UM will aks you, if it should do so. Accept YES, because aptitude thinks, that emc2 is out of date (no repos) it will completely remove emc2. Then you get a Ubuntu 10.04 without RTAI. Then add EMC2 to the repos back again. Update and install emc2. linux-image-2.6.32-rtai-122 will install. Boot with rtai. remove generic image. Done.

What is the difference to overwriting?

No problem, if you make it right. It will not break, but you must know what you are doing.

I gave it a chance in a virtualbox environment and it was a better update than ever. Believe me.

Regards

Wolfgang

More
28 Sep 2010 05:31 #4380 by step4linux

andypugh wrote:
In a trivial kinematics machine (cartesian joints and cartesian axes) you would just change the mapping between motors/joints and axis positions commands in HAL.

With the bipod, however, you will probably need to alter the kinematics source-code. (exchange pos->tran.x with pos->tran.y throughout)
It seems odd that you would have this problem, however, if other people have not.

It's just a matter of definition.
The bipod code is based on the definition, that the x axis is parallel to the straight line between both bipod reference points. This is of course arbitrary. But I think Andy is right: the only way to change it, is to change the c-code.

Gerd

More
28 Sep 2010 08:42 #4381 by Schnitti
Hi Gerd, Andy,

it is a question of winding the ropes. CW and CCW are not the same. :(

And I set up with the wrong stepping parameteres not suitable to the driver. My mistake.:woohoo:

To make shure, it is correctly winded:

Let the ropes hang free and unwinded! Then pull them up with + in emc2 to ensure the correct direction of winding. Then go to world mode.

####

Part 2:

Does anyone care about the correction of COMP and its Makefile template? Should be done, so that inexperienced users can build modules on their own.

Wolfgang

More
28 Sep 2010 09:29 #4382 by andypugh
Schnitti wrote:

Does anyone care about the correction of COMP and its Makefile template? Should be done, so that inexperienced users can build modules on their own.

I meant to check whether it is a problem on all installations.

Things get rather lost here on the forum, as the developers tend to concentrate on the mailing list and IRC. You could try submitting a bug report via sourceforge:
sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=106744&group_id=6744&func=browse

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds