Beginner 5 axis setup questions.

More
24 Jan 2020 03:17 - 24 Jan 2020 05:23 #155623 by MDM3D
I have built a 5 axis router in an AB configuration. The A axis is a rotary table around X and the B axis rotates the spindle around Y.
The 2 axis are separate unlike the many examples for an AC/BC configurations where there are fixed offsets between the 2 rotary axies. I have all of the axies moving using trivkins but I am missing how to tell the cam/controller where the tool tip is from the center of rotation of the B axis. I understand how to configure the A axis. I think I need to use 5axiskins but I am struggling to understand how that would work for my particular setup. Am I overthinking this and should just be using trivkins? If an example file exists that would be greatly appreciated. I had this set up as 4 axis config and that made sense as it was just the work moving but when I add in the B axis it gets difficult for me to understand what I need to add to the hal and ini files.

Thanks you for the help in advance!
Last edit: 24 Jan 2020 05:23 by MDM3D.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2020 16:17 #155731 by bbsr_5a
as i found out the vismach gives a good start
[AXIS_A]
       MIN_LIMIT = -100
       MAX_LIMIT =   50
    MAX_VELOCITY =   30
MAX_ACCELERATION =   300

[JOINT_3]
            TYPE = ANGULAR
            HOME =    0
    MAX_VELOCITY =   30
MAX_ACCELERATION =  300
       MIN_LIMIT = -100
       MAX_LIMIT =   50
 HOME_SEARCH_VEL =    0
   HOME_SEQUENCE =    0

[AXIS_B]
       MIN_LIMIT = -36000
       MAX_LIMIT =  36000
    MAX_VELOCITY =     30
MAX_ACCELERATION =    300

[JOINT_4]
            TYPE = ANGULAR
            HOME =      0
    MAX_VELOCITY =     30
MAX_ACCELERATION =    300
       MIN_LIMIT = -36000
       MAX_LIMIT =  36000
 HOME_SEARCH_VEL =      0
   HOME_SEQUENCE =      0

the homing is a factor you need to home the rotarys to the ZERO point and liniars to center XY only Z offset to rotation
but im also in the devils circle of try and error

More
28 Jan 2020 19:55 - 28 Jan 2020 19:55 #156040 by andypugh

The 2 axis are separate unlike the many examples for an AC/BC configurations where there are fixed offsets between the 2 rotary axies. I have all of the axies moving using trivkins but I am missing how to tell the cam/controller where the tool tip is from the center of rotation of the B axis.

There are two ways to do this. You can tell the CAM system how your machine is arranged, or you can set up a custom kinematics that will work in tool point coordinates (TCP)

In some ways the first method is simpler, but that requires a CAM system that can do this, and then the code will not be portable to other machines.

The second way is rather more setup work, but you will end up with more portable G-code. And you still need a CAM system that can do 5 axis output.

Portable G-code is probably of no importance at all.

So, set your machine up to suit your CAM system.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2020 19:55 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MDM3D

More
03 Feb 2020 15:36 #156444 by bbsr_5a
the Homeswitches is the Point of interest from there the Rotation point needs to be set correct

More
23 Apr 2020 01:53 #165174 by MDM3D
Andy, you are saying I should just set up a post in fusion 360 that knows the coordinates of my machine and the order of joints and run from there? I had assumed that I would have to set all of my tool lengths to exactly the same length which I am unable to do reliably. If I had taper tooling (cat40, HSK, etc I could do that) But I have a ER 20 set up and getting the same tool length would be a pain.

More
23 Apr 2020 07:31 - 23 Apr 2020 07:44 #165194 by bbsr_5a
Hi
the Fusion can only do a 3+2 Toolpath
use FeatherCam or a Student POWERMILL version to get real good proper 5Axis
there you can even use simple trivial Kinetics as the post on this 2 CAM uses the Mashine itself to generate toolpath

But I have a ER 20 set up and getting the same tool length would be a pain.

We use a platform on the side of the Machine that has the same Height as the Zero of the Caxis so you drive to the with the inserted new tool and give The Tooltable the ofset
unlike a toolmesurment Instrument touch of plate that you can automate by simple use a Ground loop the G38.2 stops the movement
DRO holds the offset to be written to tooltable or MDI G10 L1 P4 Z12,345 R3.5 (set tool 4 Zoffset R Radius)
You need to use Switchkins to get this as your machine is RTCP
Last edit: 23 Apr 2020 07:44 by bbsr_5a.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds