7i76e bitfile creation help needed

More
15 May 2020 16:47 #167870 by atlantis
Unfortunately I don't really find much info on writing bitfiles specifically for Mesa cards and it's quite some years since I last dealt with Xilinx stuff.

I want to connect my MPG pendant to expansion connector P1, all the signals. Therefore I need to modify the bitfile to map the encoder inputs to somewhere on P1. However I can't get it to compile without an error. So far I have modified these two lines:
IOPortTag & x"01" & QCountTag & QCountQAPin,			-- I/O 25   PIN 5	
IOPortTag & x"01" & QCountTag & QCountQBPin,			-- I/O 26   PIN 6	

and get an
ERROR:HDLCompiler:533 - "/home/ise/Xilinx/7i80/configs/hostmot2/source/hostmot2sp6.vhd" Line 1187: Index 1 is out of array constraint 0 downto 0 for target quada

error. Now when I change it to
IOPortTag & x"00" & QCountTag & QCountQAPin,			-- I/O 25   PIN 5	
IOPortTag & x"00" & QCountTag & QCountQBPin,			-- I/O 26   PIN 6	

it does compile but my guess is that if I put "00" these will be inputs for the main encoder (spindle) and not one of the additional encoders that are normally available on inputs 16-19 in mode 2. Is my guess correct and if it is, how do I get what I need?

Regards
Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2020 17:03 - 15 May 2020 17:05 #167878 by PCW
In the module ID section you would need to change:

(QcountTag, x"02", ClockLowTag, x"01", QcounterAddr&PadT, QCounterNumRegs, x"00", QCounterMPBitMask),

to

(QcountTag, x"02", ClockLowTag, x"02", QcounterAddr&PadT, QCounterNumRegs, x"00", QCounterMPBitMask),

(this changes the number of encoder modules in the configuration)

Any reason you are not using the built-in 7I76E MPG counter inputs on field I/O 16..19?
Last edit: 15 May 2020 17:05 by PCW.

More
19 May 2020 10:25 #168245 by atlantis
Thanks, this did the trick! Is there a tutorial available somewhere on modifiying these bitfiles? I did a lot of searching and didn't find anything that actually explains what means and does what exaxtly.

The reason is simply that I prefer to have all the mpg signals on one dedicated connector, I don't like the idea of wiring just the encoder wires over to another connector.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds