Swapping between ModBus or Step/Dir for spindle between normal and tapping?

More
17 Sep 2020 18:58 #182560 by jhandel
I have a spindle servo that takes Modbus commands great (I have that worked out).. However, for rigid tapping I have been warned ModBus may not be a timely enough method.. The Spindle also takes step & direction great (however, at 4096 pulses/rotation and max RPM of 10k I can't run my spindle in step/direction normally as the pulses would be crazy small...

How might I configure/code things (or pointers to docs on this) where I can have essentially two methods for spindle control and flip between them based on if it's normally commanded speed or a rigid tapping operation where I want the servo and encoder to work with the z axis to well, do rigid tapping..

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2020 20:50 #182576 by tommylight
Not sure about this, but since LinuxCNC 2.8 and Master support multiple spindles, maybe it can be set as 2 separate spindles, one through ModBus and the other through step/dir.
In gcode that would end up as
M3 $0 S10000 for the first spindle say through ModBus, and
M3 $1 S500 for the second spindle or rigid tapping through step/dir.
Just an idea ( never said it is a good idea ! :) )

More
18 Sep 2020 12:24 #182639 by jhandel
Hurm... I see what you did there.. so a few "interesting" tweaks to the post processor, and documentation reminding myself what I did for after I have slept a few nights..

No way to do that "switching' between spindles by customizing the S command? like if S < 1000 use $1 if S > 1000 use $0 as a bit of a custom macro?

More
18 Sep 2020 12:29 #182640 by tommylight

No way to do that "switching' between spindles by customizing the S command? like if S < 1000 use $1 if S > 1000 use $0 as a bit of a custom macro?

Most probably could be done, but from what i know that would require digging into the deepest parts of the software and making some serious changes there.
I would like to think that by now the new CAM software would have multiple spindle support, but not using them so not sure.

More
18 Sep 2020 13:32 #182646 by jhandel
So its not something that is a command I could muck with like a macro then.. roger.. yah would not want to fork to solve this for sure..

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds