Smoothing the ShuttleXpress jog speeds

More
05 Nov 2020 08:35 #188378 by JetForMe
I've got my ShuttleXpress working pretty well, but sometimes, if I'm just between two steps on the spring wheel (the multi-speed continuous jog ring), it'll teeter between two speeds and make for really jerky jogs.

It seems a low-pass filter is in order for the jog speed, but I'm not sure what downsides there might be to that. Has anyone done this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2020 08:42 #188379 by BeagleBrainz
I use a lowpass filter for my mpg, can't say I've seen any thing even remotely like a downside.

When all is said and done it's a try and see thing, easy to comment out the hal connections if you don't like it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JetForMe

More
05 Nov 2020 11:49 #188385 by rodw
There is a component designed for smoothing MPGs called ilowpass give it a go.

More
07 Nov 2020 03:45 #188567 by JetForMe

There is a component designed for smoothing MPGs called ilowpass give it a go.

ilowpass seems to be for smoothing the jog wheel, not the spring wheel.

More
07 Nov 2020 05:14 #188570 by BeagleBrainz
Not having used the Shuttle, express is the spring wheel used for actual jogging (movement) or used to set the jog speed. Or does the speed you operate the jog wheel at determine how fast the machine jogs ?

I think there is some confusion as Rod (I think) & myself use a typical MPG jog wheel, like the kind you can get off ebay or comes with the simple type pendant. Yes I know you have a fancy wireless pendant Rod, but I assumed it uses a conventional type jog wheel.

More
10 Nov 2020 08:40 #188847 by rodw
The reason I bought a professional wireless pendant is that I did not want to deal with all the latency and connection problems I had heard about at the time about USB. So either way you cut it, the shuttle Express is a USB device and subject to latency.

And yes, my pendant has a jog wheel which is functionally identical to one wired to the 7i76e as the pendant has a wireless receiver hardwired in to my 7i76e. It is a little bit jerkier than a hard wired one but still nice to use and has been bulletproof. SO much so I bought a couple more...

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds