Check air pressure before doing anything?

More
04 Dec 2020 03:06 - 04 Dec 2020 03:07 #191006 by JetForMe
I finally added a digital air pressure sensor to my setup, and now I'd like to throw up an alert any time the user tries to do any number of things that require air, like start the spindle, attempt a tool change, etc. How would I do this? I'm currently using Axis, but thinking of switching to Qtvcp.

This sorta begs a question I've asked in the past, but never got a good answer to: is there a way to run some code (Python is fine) whenever any Gcode command is issued (whether it be MDI, program, or response to a widget click)?
Last edit: 04 Dec 2020 03:07 by JetForMe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2020 03:56 #191009 by cmorley
Run code before any command? no not without digging into source code and even then it would be difficult to cover all contingency.

Cover particular codes? possible for some codes - that's what remap was for.
But remap is for the planning stage of codes.

You want to act on at-the-moment-of-execution point.
Depending on what you are trying to do (say spindle control) HAL is probably the best.

Chris

More
04 Dec 2020 10:10 #191017 by rodw
I don't think gcode is required at all. I would write a custom component and send all of the signals you want to monitor to it including your air pressure. Without actually knowing what you wish to achieve its hard to be specific, but if you had an output pin that went true on low air pressure, to raise a warning and say the component would not enable the spindle at speed until air pressure was to spec.

Same with tool change, your component would not set iocontrol.0.tool−change to request a tool change until air pressure was OK. Instead it would just hold and wait.

More
04 Dec 2020 11:35 #191021 by bevins

I don't think gcode is required at all. I would write a custom component and send all of the signals you want to monitor to it including your air pressure. Without actually knowing what you wish to achieve its hard to be specific, but if you had an output pin that went true on low air pressure, to raise a warning and say the component would not enable the spindle at speed until air pressure was to spec.

Same with tool change, your component would not set iocontrol.0.tool−change to request a tool change until air pressure was OK. Instead it would just hold and wait.

Why not require air to bring the machine out of estop?

More
04 Dec 2020 15:32 #191036 by tommylight

Why not require air to bring the machine out of estop?

+1

More
04 Dec 2020 20:27 - 04 Dec 2020 20:30 #191066 by chris@cnc
Hello,
I am unable to compile new Air Componet. And e-stop maybe little overdress. In the 90s we combine this type of alarms via single block mode or motion stop mode. Now I would connect through Spindel.0.amp-foult-In or last unused joint.5.amp-fault-in. So you get Alarm.
regards Christian
Last edit: 04 Dec 2020 20:30 by chris@cnc.

More
04 Dec 2020 22:40 #191081 by tommylight
You can use
motion-inhibit
enable
e-stop
amplifier-fault
spindle-enable
there might also be other pins that can be used to tailor the functionality, all in hal, no comp needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JetForMe

More
05 Dec 2020 02:56 #191103 by JetForMe
Because air is not necessarily required for everything, like homing or jogging. E-stop is overkill. And really, I may not even want to stop a running program, although that would be best; feedhold and stop the spindle, so that the program can be resumed after the air situation is corrected.

More
05 Dec 2020 02:57 #191104 by JetForMe

You can use
motion-inhibit
enable
e-stop
amplifier-fault
spindle-enable
there might also be other pins that can be used to tailor the functionality, all in hal, no comp needed.

I think you're right, I can get really close with these.

More
05 Dec 2020 03:00 #191105 by rodw

Because air is not necessarily required for everything, like homing or jogging. E-stop is overkill. And really, I may not even want to stop a running program, although that would be best; feedhold and stop the spindle, so that the program can be resumed after the air situation is corrected.

You could keep the the spindle at speed pin disabled if the air pressure was not good. Once air pressure was good, it would just start to run. probably just an and2 required.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds