5 axis XYZAB

More
28 Jan 2021 05:46 - 28 Jan 2021 05:46 #196897 by hodianmkr
5 axis XYZAB was created by hodianmkr
Hi All -

I just recently joined these forums in hopes of requesting a bit of help. I've built a 5axis machine and hoping to do a bit of continuous 5axis motion with it. It's a rotary head ( B ) and rotary chuck (A). Essentially, I am cutting long-thin boards which needs support at both ends (hence why a C axis configuration won't meet my needs)

I recognize this is probably a bit unusual as I see support for XYZBC and XYZAC built-in, yet my searches have rendered nothing for my BA configuration. (I found one that matches dynamotion controller yet I was hoping to stick w/ linuxcnc)

My trig is pretty weak so I am wondering if one of you have created a Kinematics configuration for XYZAB supporting TCP?

If so, would you mind sharing?

Thanks you
Last edit: 28 Jan 2021 05:46 by hodianmkr. Reason: fixed emoji

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2021 16:41 #196962 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic 5 axis XYZAB
I don't think an XYZAB 5 axis machine would be that uncommon, and the configuration would certainly be supported in Linuxcnc.

But I have no experience with a 5 axis machine, either configuring it or even using one. So I won' be much help for you there. There are a number of threads on the forum discussing the problems with setting setting up and using TCP on a 5 axis machine with Linuxcnc. Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do.

More
28 Jan 2021 18:47 #196983 by hodianmkr
Replied by hodianmkr on topic 5 axis XYZAB

. Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do.

I've done just that, in these forums and others; hence the reason for my post. No luck, yet.

More
29 Jan 2021 00:22 #197010 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 5 axis XYZAB
Did you find
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/motion/5-axis-kinematics.html ?

I sort-of have an XYZAB machine, but currently I only have extremely rudimentary kinematics and haven't tried TCP working.

I think if I was trying to set it up I would try combining the A stuff from:

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...ics/xyzac-trt-kins.c

and the B stuff from:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...ics/xyzbc-trt-kins.c

And then keep fiddling in a sim config until it looked close.

More
29 Jan 2021 01:41 #197020 by hodianmkr
Replied by hodianmkr on topic 5 axis XYZAB

Did you find
And then keep fiddling in a sim config until it looked close.

Yep, I've been through those docs and that's exactly what I'm doing; merging BC and AC. I just went through a test run of using vismatch + simulation to do this (lest I destroy my machine).

Also looking at this: www.dynomotion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731 for the requirements.

So next I'll build the stl models then start hacking up the AC/BC examples

Anecdotally - I've had my eye on linuxcnc for many years and this is the first I've delved into vismatch, etc. I think I'm in love :blush: I can get all of this simulated without sitting my cold shopspace for early test runs

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds