Rack tool changer

More
18 Oct 2010 05:10 #4733 by Zig
Rack tool changer was created by Zig
Has anyone tried setting up a rack tool changer.

Wiki points to a method of establishing a changer ( wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?RackToolChanger ) but my limited linux knowledge prevents me from following the instructions.

Would like to set up a rack tool changer in a straight line on the bed of he gantry mill aat some extreme X value approximately 50 mm apart with approximately 8 tool positions.

Any comments welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2010 09:55 #4736 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Rack tool changer
Zig wrote:

Wiki points to a method of establishing a changer ( wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?RackToolChanger ) but my limited linux knowledge prevents me from following the instructions.

This came up on IRC last night too.
It is not clear if those instructions will work on a newer version of emc2 (the only way to find out would be to apply the patch and see if it takes).

A rack toolchanger is a bit of a problem, as it involves taking axis position control off of the G-code program and into a separate routine.
It is possible to configure a TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION in the INI file, which solves part of the problem.
There is some useful, but outdated, info here: wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?ToolChangerImplementation

It isn't very elegant, but it might be that the simplest way is to write a G-code subroutine that you can call in place of M6. It would need a bit of internal logic to
a) see if the requested tool is different from the current tool. There are some #54XX parameters that might be useful here: linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode_overview.ht...:Numbered-Parameters
I think that the requested tool might have to be "looped in" as an analogue input (M65) from the HAL file to the G-code.
b) Go to the slot for the installed tool, and drop it.
c) go to the slot for the requested tool and pick it up.

Moving to each slot is fairly easy as G-code allows computed moves, so G0 X[#<tool> * #<slot_offset> + #<slot_0_posn>] is valid.

It would be nice if the HAL tool-change-request pin could be used to call the tool-change G-code as an MDI_COMMAND subroutine, but I am fairly sure that MDI_COMMAND routines are ignored in Auto mode, and tool changes happen in auto mode.

I think that means that to use this you would have to replace M6 with O<toolchange> CALL in your G-code. But I might well be wrong on all or any points in this posting.

Perversely, toolchangers which use separate actuators to select the tool are a lot more straightforward.

More
05 Jan 2020 12:39 #154095 by MarcoGaspar
Replied by MarcoGaspar on topic Rack tool changer
Hello,

I installed linuxmint 19.3 and linuxcnc 2.9 and try to put racktool change working..... the machine change the tool but when it finish it don't update the tool number.

INI File:
REMAP=M6 modalgroup=6 prolog=change_prolog ngc=rack_change epilog=change_epilog
[EMCIO]
EMCIO = io
CYCLE_TIME = 0.100
TOOL_TABLE = tool.tbl
TOOL_CHANGE_QUILL_UP = 1

Hal file:
unlinkp iocontrol.0.tool-change
unlinkp iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool-change iocontrol.0.tool-change iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool-prep-loop iocontrol.0.tool-prepare iocontrol.0.tool-prepared

I don't have any pin that confirms the tool.

Best Regards,
Marco Gaspar

More
09 Jan 2020 00:16 #154366 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Rack tool changer
What are you looking at to make you think that the tool number hasn't changed?

More
09 Jan 2020 13:08 #154434 by mydani
Replied by mydani on topic Rack tool changer
Can you check your stdglue.py whether you correctly assign the selected_tool in the M6 epilog?

Regards,
Daniel

More
09 Jan 2020 13:29 #154437 by MarcoGaspar
Replied by MarcoGaspar on topic Rack tool changer
Found the files that causes this problem.

racktool change Working fine but when i put your probe_screen.py and stdglue.py from vers.by when the machine changes the tool it never updates the current tool.

More
21 Jan 2020 16:21 #155333 by bbsr_5a
Replied by bbsr_5a on topic Rack tool changer
Can you Provide your Setings and Files for the Racktoolchange
i am up to set mine also as a Racktoolchanger

More
15 Jan 2024 07:44 - 15 Jan 2024 08:28 #290737 by xenon-alien
Replied by xenon-alien on topic Rack tool changer
Hello!
How to start the Rack tool changer simulation on the 2.9.2 LCNC?
I have some errors. Installed the whole system from the downloaded ISO with Debian 12 with LCNC 2.9.2. (I will use this system)
And how to make it work with the PyVCP, not the GladeVCP?
On LCNC 2.8.4 it runs, but there still not figured out yet how to use it with PyVCP.
Can anyone help me? Please!

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc_r...nger.txt
File Size:8 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: gladevcp_r...nger.txt
File Size:1 KB

Upd.: Just commented out the Glade part of the ini file and it runs on 2.9.2. So to add a few extra lines to PyVCP not will be a problem.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jan 2024 08:28 by xenon-alien.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds