Custom Kinematics 2.8

More
10 Nov 2022 01:58 #256314 by An
Custom Kinematics 2.8 was created by An
Hi guy's, I'm slowly migrating everything into a fresh install of 2.8.4 (from 2.5) and trying to figure out what will need changing in my custom kinematics. I've had  a look at some of the updated kins files in github and its hard to know what has changed owing to the new handling of joints and axes and what has been updated for other reasons. If I am correct (please tell me if not) previously each axes was allocated to a particular joint and this coupling could not be altered and now axes and joints are independent? My kinematics are the original trivkins with a modification to account for some x axis curvature (similar to this forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachme...0382/kk1000skins.zip). Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2022 10:08 #256341 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Custom Kinematics 2.8
I think that your kinematics should still work as-is.
Some of the kins modules have been updated to support switchable kinematics, but that is optional.

More
10 Nov 2022 21:08 #256386 by An
Replied by An on topic Custom Kinematics 2.8
Thanks for the reply Andy. Could you please confirm for me something? Its been a few years since i last played around with this and i seem to have forgotten a lot. I am able to compile kins files and can see them created as .so in the lib/linuxcnc /modules folder but when i update the .hal file linuxcnc fails with Ini variable '[KINS]testkins1' not found. I installed from the standard package and updated using the sudo apt get linuxcnc-dev which seemed to work. Is this because i need the RIP version? If so is there anyway to update the version i have installed or i need to fresh install from source? Thanks again for you time!

More
10 Nov 2022 21:19 #256388 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Custom Kinematics 2.8
You shouldn't need a RIP version, and if the modules are ending up in /lib/linuxcnc/modules then you are not installing as RIP either.

Did you use "sudo halcompile --install" ? This could be a permissions thing. (sudo is correct)

More
10 Nov 2022 21:50 #256389 by An
Yes I believe so. I also tried adding [KINS]trivkins to the HAL file from lib/linuxcnc/modules (the one that came with the install) and it returned the same error?

More
10 Nov 2022 22:10 #256392 by An
Ok i see the HAL file calls KINEMATICS from the .ini I think it was different when i last did it and was just auto piloting. Seems to be working now thanks.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds