7i96S Analog Spindle

More
17 Feb 2023 23:29 #264726 by reynolds087
Replied by reynolds087 on topic 7i96S Analog Spindle
Ok, you're right. I didn't notice it because for one, I was testing at 0 RPM, and then I think at the halfway point vs max speed, it may be the lagging issue that I mentioned. The strange thing about the lag, is that if I click the jog button, it's basically instant, but then it takes a while to show the movement in the visual plotter. I made a video so you can see what I'm talking about. It only behaves this way with the new spindle code in the hal file.

Vimeo - Spindle Behavior

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2023 23:48 #264727 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i96S Analog Spindle
I saw no lags with your hal files
(though your acceleration is fairly low so jogs start/stop gently)

It could be a noise issue with the spindle
you might try with the spindle power disconnected

More
18 Feb 2023 00:10 #264730 by reynolds087
Replied by reynolds087 on topic 7i96S Analog Spindle
Thanks, PCW.

I guess it must be a problem with the remote desktop session. I'll open a separate post about that. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it!

More
04 Sep 2023 21:26 - 04 Sep 2023 21:41 #279888 by Nitram
Replied by Nitram on topic 7i96S Analog Spindle
Could the use of scale/ offset in this manner be used to set low spindle RPMs in the voltage range which would typically be below the threshold of the pwm gen?
As an example:
Let's say the spindle VFD would typically need 0v = 0 RPM and 10v = 10000 RPM.
But to orientate the spindle for a tool change it needs 30 RPM until it finds the hall sensor and locks.
In this case, 30 RPM would be .03v which is likely below the minimum fidelity threshold of the mesa card pwm gen. (Peter mentioned that for example the 7i47s pwm gen only swings to within 50mv of ground).
So, could the scale/offset discussed above be used to have the pwm gen output say at 1V be scaled back to 0 RPM (the VFD "sees" 0v when the pwm gen outputs 1v) thus bringing the 30 RPM control necessary for tool change orient back into the "fidelity range" of the pwm gen? This would necessarity "compress" the rest of the scale upwards since now pwm generated 1v = a 0v signal to the VFD (0 RPM) and pwm generated 10v = a 10v signal to the VFD (10000 RPM), but would enable effective control by the pwm gen of the low RPM necessary for the tool orient.
Similar to previous posts but the other way around??
Is this feasible??
Thanks.

Last edit: 04 Sep 2023 21:41 by Nitram.

More
05 Sep 2023 00:04 #279900 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 7i96S Analog Spindle
It might work, but would be a VFD setting too, not a HAL-only solution.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds