Linuxcncrsh reading a hal pin?

More
18 Apr 2023 07:21 #269356 by blazini36
I suppose this isn't limited to linuxcncrsh but I need a method of pushing the value out to linuxcncrsh. If I want to set a pin it just looks like:
set mdi M1xx p123.456

...to pass a value into an M1xx file. But how do I read the pin value into linuxcncrsh? is it just an echo or something in the mcode file with the mcode file being something like:
halcmd show pin whatever.whatever
echo something

I'll be getting help with this from somebody who's more competent then me with this. I just need to know the method of doing it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2023 12:49 #269369 by andypugh
I am not sure that it is even possible. Linuxcncrsh is a user interface, and if you look into it, the other user interfaces have no access to HAL pins either.

It is just about possible that you can get back data with

MDI "(DEBUG, #<_hal[parport.0.pin-0-in]>)" which is the G-code access to HAL pins.

What you probably want is halrmt: linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man1/halrmt.1.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: blazini36

More
18 Apr 2023 17:32 #269378 by blazini36
I didn't even realize halrmt was a thing.

I was hoping you'd chime in since you're the resident expert. It looks like halrmt doesn't take gcodes, where linuxcncrsh does and that is what I need.

I'm trying to use openPnP with LinuxCNC as the controller. OpenPnP pipes out gcode typically to a 3d printer style controller over a serial or ethernet port so I'm looking to use linuxcncrsch for this purpose with a local port. OpenPnP uses a "gcodeDriver" which is configurable for however it needs to be so I'm in the middle of setting up the driver for linuxcncrsh. The method of setting hal oins with Mcodes through linuxcncrsh seems fine.

I believe OpenPnP can support multiple gcode drivers/controllers. So it's probably possible that I can use both linuxcncrsh and halrmt, they seem to share the same command/confirm structure. The doc only mentions halrmt being started from the terminal but can it be started from the hal file like linuxcncrsh?

so if I use DISPLAY=linuxcncrsh, then in hal
loadusr halrmt --[otherStuff]
does that work or is there a better way to achieve what I'm trying to do?

More
18 Apr 2023 17:45 #269379 by blazini36
Not sure how promising this sounds...
Bugs
It is not know if this interface currently works.

lol well I hope it does
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Apr 2023 20:06 #269383 by andypugh
Sorry, I just know that linuxcnrsh and halrmt exist, I have never used either.

More
18 Apr 2023 20:18 #269384 by blazini36
Well I suppose I can add that to the list of experiments. Thanks for mentioning it though, I probably would not have found it.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds