Trouble changing language in LinuxCNC

More
02 May 2023 22:07 #270512 by OldSQL
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble changing the language of LinuxCNC from English to Portuguese. I'm running Debian 9.4 and I installed LinuxCNC 2.10 using the Synaptic Package Manager.

To change the language, I downloaded the pt_PT.po files from GitHub and tried to convert them to linuxcnc.mo files using the msgfmt command. I followed the steps outlined in the LinuxCNC documentation and was able to generate the pt_PT.mo file.

Next, I tried to copy the file to the appropriate directory (/usr/share/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/linuxcnc.mo) and restart LinuxCNC, but the program still shows up in English. I've checked my system locale settings and they're already set to pt_PT, so I'm not sure what else I need to do to get LinuxCNC to use the Portuguese translation file.

Here are the commands I've used so far:

Downloaded the pt_PT.po files from GitHub.
Converted the files to binary format using the msgfmt command: msgfmt -o pt_PT.mo pt_PT.po
Copied the pt_PT.mo file to the appropriate directory: sudo cp pt_PT.mo /usr/share/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/linuxcnc.mo
Restarted LinuxCNC: sudo service linuxcnc restart
I've also tried setting the LC_MESSAGES environment variable to the path of the pt_PT.mo file, but that didn't seem to work either.

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Is there another step I need to take to get LinuxCNC to use the pt_PT.mo file for translations?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2023 13:20 #270639 by HansU
Is your system set up for the Portuguese language?

I just type
LANG=en_US.utf8
in a shell and then start LinuxCNC in the same shell to switch the language. (Assuming the english locales are installed)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds