Poll LinuxCNC for Machine Position from Remote Computer

More
05 Sep 2023 15:06 - 05 Sep 2023 16:12 #279986 by reynolds087
I use a Windows computer with a remote desktop session to control LinuxCNC. Is there a way to poll the position of the machine using an API or some other method from the remote Windows computer? The overall goal is to be able to quickly populate a spreadsheet with position information to calculate the midpoint of my workpiece on various axes. I used to copy paste it from the LinuxCNC status display, but for some reason Windows 10 is extremely finnicky about copy/paste from a Linux RDP session, and it recently stopped working as reliably.

If there is a way to set up a button in LibreOffic Calc to run a python script and populate a cell with the value of the machine position on a particular axis, that would really simplify my workflow. I typically probe one side of the part, record the value, probe the other side, and then use the spreadsheet to calculate the midpoint, and then use G10L2P0 command to set my work offset. Maybe there is a simpler way to do this that I'm not familiar with.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2023 16:12 by reynolds087.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2023 21:41 #282320 by bkt
the esiest way is to use modbus, if no time critical polling axis remote can be a way .... an other way was using QTvcp or QT c++ and establish can, modbus, socket, mttq opcua connectiona as you whant ....

More
02 Nov 2023 13:06 #284324 by heeplr
That sounds like a job for linuxcncrsh + python script.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds