Tool life tracking with tooldata

More
22 Sep 2023 19:05 #281408 by spacestate1
I noticed there is a section in the Axis demo (configs/sim/axis/db_demo/)  to load the tool database from an external source such as SQlite. Does anyone have an experience with this? It could be a useful options to track tool usage and other metrics.

Not sure how well known it is, or how much development time it has gotten. Looks like it's been around since 2021. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2023 07:33 - 23 Sep 2023 07:43 #281441 by Aciera
It is a relatively recent addition. I have no experience with it but here is the documentation (which you may have already found):
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/tooldatabase/tooldatabase.html

For example, a db_program database application can maintain the operating hours for all tools by tracking each load/unload of a tool. A machine could then have three 6 mm endmills in pockets 111, 112, and 113 with the database application programmed to assign tool number 110 to the 6 mm endmill with the fewest operating hours. Then, when a LinuxCNC program requests tool 110, the database would specify the appropriate pocket based on tool usage history.

Last edit: 23 Sep 2023 07:43 by Aciera.

More
23 Sep 2023 18:33 - 23 Sep 2023 18:34 #281496 by spacestate1
I've been reading through it, and I got some code working to interface with the system and load tools from a SQlite database.

I think this is a  useful feature. Here's what I've put together so far, it's still a work in progress and I want to make it work with the database structure from here

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ToolDatabase

My branch: 
github.com/spacestate1/linuxcnc/tree/master

Last edit: 23 Sep 2023 18:34 by spacestate1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds