MaxNC T2 lathe

More
02 Nov 2010 23:59 #5049 by yugami
MaxNC T2 lathe was created by yugami
Anybody here tinker around with a MaxNC T2 lathe?

I'm not having a lot of luck tinkering with the hal file to get things to move.

I found a forum for which lists the pinout and messing around using this pinout I can get the motors to react slightly.

groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1mach2cnc/message/29842

I'm messing around with the .hal file and trying to get things poppen but not having a ton of luck besides the motors having a high pitch wine and a little wiggle I can feel when I try to move them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2010 01:30 #5051 by yugami
Replied by yugami on topic Re:MaxNC T2 lathe
I should add

The high pitch wine comes from hooking a signal to pin 17 (reset)

However if I remove that then nothing happens when I try to move the axis.

If I turn the pin on and leave it there I get lunge before nothing happens
If it turn it on and then off, nothing happens

I don't really see much a difference between step_type=2,2 and 0,0 in my basic messing around.

I still don't have network access on the cnc machine but I'll try to post the config file I've hacked together with the wizard and by hand.

More
03 Nov 2010 10:41 #5052 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:MaxNC T2 lathe
Hello,

Try a dramatic reduction on your speeds and or acceleration , could be the motors stalling. Also you can try increasing your step timing.

Rick G

More
03 Nov 2010 12:04 #5053 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:MaxNC T2 lathe
yugami wrote:

I don't really see much a difference between step_type=2,2 and 0,0 in my basic messing around.

From the link you posted it sounds like type 2 is most likely.

It will be easier to help when you post the HAL file. My first question is whether you have added stepgen.make-pulses to the base thread.

More
03 Nov 2010 12:19 #5054 by andypugh
yugami wrote:

besides the motors having a high pitch wine and a little wiggle I can feel when I try to move them.

Incidentally, a high-pitched whine would be about normal for a quadrature-drive when driven with a step-direction signal.

Chris Radek has a MaxNC milling machine running under EMC2, I guess it uses similar drives, so he might be of some help. I don't think you will find him here, but he is active on the IRC channel and the mailing list.

More
03 Nov 2010 13:14 #5055 by yugami
Thanks for the pointers.

I'm probably going to be working extra late today, if so I'll work on this more tomorrow.

I'll post the config file tonight if possible.

The stepper motors attached to the 2 axis are from Lin Engineering 5718M-02S IIRC

www.linengineering.com/LinE/contents/stepmotors/5718.aspx

More
03 Nov 2010 13:22 #5056 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:MaxNC T2 lathe
Cradek said that Maxnc has had a bunch of different drives over the years and his were crappy.

[08:17] <cradek> maxnc has made machines for 20 years - they have changed drives a lot
[08:18] <cradek> asking someone else with a maxnc what kind of drives you have is not a useful tactic IMO
[08:18] <JT-Hardinge> I see, I didn't have a clue about maxnc
[08:19] <cradek> my original drivers were shittastic phase drive
[08:19] <cradek> they also had step/dir drives and proprietary "as good as servos! honest!" drives
[08:19] <JT-Hardinge> sounds like time for a hammer
[08:19] <cradek> yeah
[08:20] <cradek> their proprietary scheme had encoders - I have no idea what it was

John

More
03 Nov 2010 15:37 #5057 by yugami
If I where to look at replacing the drive what would you guys recommend for a fairly low cost item. I don't want to dump another 200 into this right off the bat before I get anything cutting.

I'm not looking at any precision machining off the bat, actually using this for making stuff out of wood more than metal right now. Metal will be useful as well but the main purpose was for churning out a bunch of wood parts.

More
03 Nov 2010 16:57 #5060 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:MaxNC T2 lathe
I'd recommend discovering what drive you have in your lathe now as there seems to be a large variety of combinations used by the OEM...

Do you have a photo of the drive?

I see that Lin has all the data for your motors so you can use the Stepper Formulas on this page to figure out what a drive would need to be capable of to work.

John

More
03 Nov 2010 16:58 #5061 by andypugh
I would spend a bit more time trying to get it to work with the existing drives first.
I
It might be worth contacting MaxNC for information on the pinout of the drives.
However, if the lathe has encoders on the backs of the motors then it might have their closed-loop drives and things might be a bit more tricky (though I suspect that EMC2 could still be persuaded to work)

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds