Knee mill table height; external offset or something else?

More
24 Nov 2023 16:09 #286410 by m0602232
Thanks for suggestion, pos3 is there because without it there is no change in neither joint.2.pos-cmd nor joint.3.pos-cmd when table is moved. Z value in dro changes though. I would like to understand why it does that.

When pos3 is added to kinematics, joint.2.pos-cmd follows the position of the table encoder, but pid goes crazy. Screenshot attached. 

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2023 16:57 #286415 by m0602232

tightmopedman9, I just connected some cheap chinese linear encoder to Mesa board encoder input. 

Attachments:

More
24 Nov 2023 17:26 #286417 by Aciera

Thanks for suggestion, pos3 is there because without it there is no change in neither joint.2.pos-cmd nor joint.3.pos-cmd when table is moved. Z value in dro changes though. I would like to understand why it does that.

I would only expect the z dro position to change as you move the table up. Are you expecting the quill to automatically retract? 

I'm just somewhat doubtful that the 'pos' variable actually works across both the forward and inverse functions the way you think. But since I'm no good at C I may be wrong and your code may be right.

More
25 Nov 2023 12:16 #286452 by m0602232
It would not be necessary for quill to retract automatically but I can't figure out how it could work otherwise.

If custom kinematics is made without additional variable, for example zeroing Z axis in dro does not work. It kind of zeroes only joint2 part so joint3 reading will stay in the dro.

I think it's because there is following error in joint3 (joint3.pos-cmd will stay at zero) but I'm not sure. Also joint3 position wont reflect to MDI commanded position, so basically only dro reading changes but nothing else works.

More
25 Nov 2023 13:06 #286454 by m0602232
Ok it seems to be working now. I ended up using additional variable (pos3) in kinematics module and smoothing out the joint3 encoder input signal in HAL wit LIMIT3. Still need to verify that joint limits are completely functional but i guess they should be.
Thanks

More
26 Nov 2023 08:39 #286533 by m0602232
No luck, trajectory planner seems to care only about axis limits. So back to square one.

I found some old posts from 2016, github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/97

Apparently this remains to be unsolved issue with trajectory planner.

More
26 Nov 2023 13:25 #286548 by Aciera
Joint limits are respected when the program is executed but violations will not be detected when a program is loaded. This can lead to a program aborting during runtime.
In your particular case there may be a workaround as it is possible to change the limit settings in the ini file from inside a running Linuxcnc session. So you could adjust the knee during job setup, adjust the limit values and then load/reload your gcode and it will behave just like a regular machine.

More
27 Nov 2023 07:03 #286605 by m0602232
It might respect joint limits but the trajectory planner does not seem to calculate deceleration approaching soft limits. I tried only by jogging onto soft limit -> following error.

Interesting, I have to study this inihal thing. Thanks again!

More
27 Nov 2023 13:58 #286622 by tommylight

It might respect joint limits but the trajectory planner does not seem to calculate deceleration approaching soft limits. I tried only by jogging onto soft limit -> following error.

It does, i have several machines that can do 24-36M/M and can jog them freely up to limits at full speed, it never hits the hardware limits since soft limits are set 5mm before hard limits.

More
27 Nov 2023 14:33 #286624 by m0602232
Yes when using axis limits it works but I can only rely on joint limits in this case. Are you sure it should work with only joint limits in world mode?

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds