Change keyboard hot keys

More
20 Apr 2024 15:44 #298735 by Askjerry
I have a friend who built a machine for making drum bodies. It functions similar to a lathe in that it has only an X and an A axis for carving the shell. Currently, using the keyboard, the LEFT and RIGHT arrow jog the X axis, and the [ and ] keys jog the A axis.

He would like to use the UP and DOWN arrows that are typically used for the Y axis to instead move the A axis.

How can he accomplish this?

EMAIL:

Years ago you helped me getting LinuxCNC dialed in on my DIY rotary CNC I used for making drums. I have a quick question:  Since my machine does not use the Y axis, I would like to have the up and down keyboard buttons control the rotary.  Using the "[" & "]" has never felt natural/intuitive for me.  Do you know if this would be an easy process (then I am interested), or is this a complex process (then it is not worth it).  If you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

I have seen some people have mention "USER_COMMAND_FILE", but I am not sure how it all fits together.  I am not ever sure if this is what I need (could be the wrong rabbit hole to go down for this).
 Thanks,Rob

Any help is appreciated.
Jerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2024 17:22 #298743 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Change keyboard hot keys
I think that this is relatively easy in Axis.
The most update-resistant way is probably with a .axisrc file:

More info in this forum thread: forum.linuxcnc.org/21-axis/29735-axis-modifications

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds