Stepgen and 4-phase steppers

More
16 Aug 2020 13:21 #178403 by Skec
Replied by Skec on topic Stepgen and 4-phase steppers
Thanks. How about this case: I wire 4 wires from stepper to L298N. From L298N I get another 4 wires (in1...in4), which I put into parallel port pins 2, 3, 4, 5. Now I have to enable pins in the sequence 2, 4, 3, 5 to move stepper motor one step.

I use this L298N driver: sigmatechbd.com/product/l298-stepper-motor-drive/
And a dvd rom stepper motor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2020 14:34 #178409 by tommylight
Yeah, those require 4 pins and each has to be stepped by the PC, and those are exactly the ones i was talking about regarding powering them.
Have a look here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...posing-a-pic?start=0
there is also a config attached that works for exactly that type of drives, it has everything set up for X and Y axis, the Z axis is used as PWM. Pins 6 to 9 are for X and pins 17,1,16,14 are fo Y axis.

More
16 Aug 2020 17:56 #178422 by Skec
Thank you!

More
19 Aug 2020 15:28 #178724 by Skec
Hi,

I have tried to configure (by hand, mostly copying configurations from uploaded examples) for one phase stepper motor control using Linuxcnc. Attached are *.hal and *.ini files. May I ask, if configuration files are right, assuming I connected L298N driver leads into parport 2, 3, 4, and 5 pins (motor A A* B B* leads I connected to L298N driver as suggested in spec.sheet)?

The stepper I am using is a motor from DVD ROM.
Driver - L298N.

My other question would be, if the parameters (e.g. cycle time, linear velocity, etc.) are set correct (I guess I left the default values)... Its hard to find those values for DVD ROM motor and L298N driver..

Thank you!
Attachments:

More
19 Aug 2020 19:14 #178737 by tommylight
In your pinout.hal file there is
net XPA => parport.0.pin-03-out
net XPB => parport.0.pin-04-out
net XPC => parport.0.pin-05-out
net XPD => parport.0.pin-06-out

Not 2,3,4,5 as you say in the post, so correct that.
When testing set LinuxCNC to very low speed, like 100mm/minute and check if the motor turns.
Also set the step_type to 6 until the motor is turning correctly as it will make it easier to check, later you can try mode 7 or 8 or 9 and see what gets you more torque or more speed.

More
19 Aug 2020 19:44 #178742 by Skec
Yes, sorry, I made mistake in post here. The pins are 3, 4, 5, and 6. Thanks for correction.

I tried to load this configuration file, however, I got error: function 'parport.0.read' not found in core_stepper.hal. For this reason LinuxCNC terminated.

More
19 Aug 2020 19:51 #178743 by tommylight
Gather everything from two hal files to one, then edit the ini to use only that hal file.
I see no reason why it is complaining about that, but might be due to the loading of real time stuff.

More
19 Aug 2020 21:06 #178764 by Skec
Finally it works! Thank you everyone for suggestions!

Just a reminder:

I wanted to drive stepper motor (taken from old DVD/CD/Floppy) with L298N using LinuxCNC.
Because Step/dir configuration could not be used, configuration must have been prepared manually (without config. wizard).

Below are the figure of hardware configuration, as well as added *.hal and *.ini files. *.var, and *.tbl files also should be included in the same directory (not added here).

Only 1 axis is configured. However, it is super easy to add other axis too (just copy-paste-rename X axis; change some number accordingly, e.g. axis number, naming, etc.)

Also, be aware that when manually tested motor movement in LinuxCNC (under continuous option) - the stepper motor will spin with no brake (as long as you press "+" or "-"). This might damage the sledge or motor, if being not careful.

Best,

Simonas.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Aug 2020 13:02 #178822 by tommylight
Nice.

More
24 Aug 2020 20:04 #179270 by Skec
Hi guys, me once again,

I do not know, if this question can be related to this topic.. but here it goes:

Can linuxcnc control BLDC motor with L298N driver? I have seen a youtube video (
), where one controls BLDC with L298N and Arduino. I have attached the diagram (which I copied from the video).

If, however, question is not related to this topic, I will delete it.

Also, if you know information related to my question, I would appreciate if you could direct me.

Sincerely,
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds