BLDC motor as spindle

More
22 Apr 2011 13:32 #9254 by kreature
Hey guys! First, EMC2 seems really great and so far it's looking spot-on for my application!

But, I am trying to set up a BLDC motor as spindle motor and can't seem to get EMC2 to output a continous pwm signal.
When I stop spindle or set speed to 0, it stops the pwm output even though 0% (0 rpm) is defined as 0.1 and 100% (22k rpm) defined as 0.2 in my stepconf.
Is there a flag somewhere to always keep pwm on? I can't find it...

I'm using a regular hobby BLDC ESC to run the spindle btw. A 1000w monster of a motor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2011 23:09 #9274 by kreature
Replied by kreature on topic Re:BLDC motor as spindle
I found a quick workaround for now to the spindle issue.
Adding:

s1 m3
g4 p1
s6000
g4 p2

Seems to allow the controller to rearm as the signal "comes back" and since 1 rpm is in the deadzone it's ignored and treated as a valid 0 rpm arming signal.
Then the rpm can be increased and a short delay is smart to let it spool up.

More
26 Apr 2011 09:45 #9320 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:BLDC motor as spindle
kreature wrote:

But, I am trying to set up a BLDC motor as spindle motor and can't seem to get EMC2 to output a continous pwm signal.

It seems odd that you would want a PWM signal to the drive when the spindle is off. Is this required to keep the drive initialised or something?
(ponder).
Ah, this is a radio-control interface isn't it? There is a page about that, though I am not sure it contains anything you don't already know.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?RC_Servo_Test

When I stop spindle or set speed to 0, it stops the pwm output even though 0% (0 rpm) is defined as 0.1 and 100% (22k rpm) defined as 0.2 in my stepconf.

Yes, those values are used for the linearisation function (if you look in the HAL file you will see a "scale" function which is doing this). So 0.00001rpm is approx .1 PWM and 100% is .2PWM. However 0 == off == 0% still because the PWM enable "pin" is connected to the motion.spindle.is-on HAL output, and that goes false when RPM is zero.

Is there a flag somewhere to always keep pwm on? I can't find it...

If you look in your HAL file you will probably see a line along the lines of
net spindle-on-off motion.spindle.is-on => pwm.0.enable
(I am guessing most of that line, you will need to do a fuzzy-match). The trick in your case is probably to change that to read:
#net spindle-on-off motion.spindle.is-on => pwm.0.enable
net spindle-on-off axis.0.amp-enable-out => pwm.0.enable
I think that will enable the PWM any time that EMC2 is on (the F2 key)

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds