Quill Control

More
16 Sep 2013 14:24 #38875 by bottleworks
Quill Control was created by bottleworks
I'm working through a CNC conversion on a SuperMax manual knee mill. The control side of things is now mostly setup and I'm now working through the steel side. I have noticed that there are some companies which sell ball screw kits for the quill. I understand ball screws are a must for X and Y, but I'm lost on why these kits exist for quill control. It makes more sense to be to direct drive it or have a pulley setup. I feel like I'm missing part of the equation. What am I missing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2013 18:29 #38879 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Quill Control

I'm lost on why these kits exist for quill control. It makes more sense to be to direct drive it or have a pulley setup.

Although it looks tempting to just add a pulley setup, (which has been done in the past) you may find that the original set up which was for manual use is not as accurate as you want and may also have a great deal of backlash.

Rick G

More
16 Sep 2013 23:43 #38891 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Quill Control
If your just profiling and drilling holes and nothing else you don't need much accuracy on Z. However if you want to do anything that needs the Z axis to be accurate you need a ball screw. My BP with an Anilam 3 axis conversion has a ball screw kit on the Z and even with that the connection point is weak so +- 0.005 is a good day on my Z axis. Any more than that and I know the screw is loose that connects the ball screw to the quill.

JT

More
17 Sep 2013 10:42 #38920 by bottleworks
Replied by bottleworks on topic Quill Control
Ok, I follow.

So what about direct drive/pulley drive the quill, but have a gas shock or air cylinder constantly trying to push up the quill? I would think it would remove any backlash. Thoughts?

More
17 Sep 2013 18:29 #38933 by BigJohnT
I assume you mean connect a pulley to the pinon shaft originally used to raise and lower the quill while drilling or boring? I suspect the result would not be as good as you envision, but I've not tried anything like that so I can only draw on general machine experience. I would in that situation just use the manual handle to position the Z and use the quill lock and run as a 2 axis CNC.

Is a SuperMax similar to a Bridgeport Series 1 mill?

JT

More
17 Sep 2013 19:58 #38934 by Rick G
The first mill I converted I replaced the fine feed handle with a pulley and belt to a stepper. This allowed me to disengage the stepper drive and use the machine in "manual" mode using the original handle.
With this there is a lot of backlash which I used backlash compensation to help with.
As John said this is fine for drilling and profile. It does make accurate Z height setting difficult and somewhat at the mercy of the cutter pulling the Z height one way or the other.
The problem I ran into with the spring was having a spring that had enough strength and travel and this also reduced the downward force available to drill with.
This machine is still in use at another shop.

Having said that the next mill I converted I made up a ball screw setup for the quill and never looked back.

Rick G

More
17 Sep 2013 20:17 #38935 by BigJohnT
Rick,

Didn't you put a stepper on the knee as well?

JT

More
18 Sep 2013 00:01 #38948 by Rick G
John,

Yes I put a stepper with a 10 to 1 gearbox on the knee using the stock setup.
I only use the W (knee) for positioning work so the slow speed is not a problem and with the mass backlash is not an issue.

Rick G

More
18 Sep 2013 04:30 #38959 by bottleworks
Hmm... I was thinking of having an air power cylinder that is constantly trying to pull the quill up. Then have the motor driving it direct drive or pulley. I would think that would eliminate the backlash? The motor would then always be working against that tension.

?

More
18 Sep 2013 04:33 #38961 by bottleworks

Is a SuperMax similar to a Bridgeport Series 1 mill?

Yes, pretty much.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds