Set up using AMC AB15A100 drives, brushed DC motor Prototrak Plus with Encoders

More
01 Sep 2022 14:39 #250927 by new2linux
Todd, Many thanks!! The mill is Bridgeport, auto oil with manual pump, chrome ways, ball screw & nut, the gibes I tweaked several years ago, this does not get used everyday. I would think the "y" axes had more weight to move than "x" axes, because it carries all the weight above it. When I hand crank the axes ( x or y) the only thing I can say that is unusual, is w/o power to power supply when cranking/turning an axes quickly it feels like the motor will act like a generator drag on the handle, faster you turn handle the more noticeable it is.
With power "on" I can wrap my hand around and spin it will stay spinning for a 1 & 1/2 turns, after letting go, w/o power it will spin, but not as well. I feel very low friction in the "X" & "Y" axes with power on. I believe the accuracy of the scope is on display.
The attached pic shows a better trace, Pot3=7.0(same as "y" axes) the Freq. & Volts are close. What do you think of this trace?

Many thanks!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2022 15:17 #250930 by Todd Zuercher
Well according to the image it is taking about twice as much electrical force to move the X in the positive direction than in the negative.

What were the settings for pot1 and SW2 in the above trace?
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
01 Sep 2022 15:42 #250931 by new2linux
Todd, thanks. The SW2 setting in prior post is 1.147 & Pot1 is 7.0. Thia attached trace has units 200 vs. 500 in pic. Settings were SW2 1.147; Pot1= 9.75. I have all others mid-point or Pot 2 = 11 CW. I see the white (ch2) trace is hight on screen is better. Do you think the setting are ok?

Many thanks!

Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2022 16:00 - 01 Sep 2022 16:07 #250932 by Todd Zuercher
No that isn't good enough yet. More SW2 and probably a lot more Pot1.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2022 16:07 by Todd Zuercher.

More
01 Sep 2022 16:32 #250933 by new2linux
Todd, Thank you! This is at the same SW2 setting (1.147) at Pot 1 = 10.75 turns, this moves very fast, the table only changes direction 2 times there is long "cruse" area when the table moves faster than I have see in long time, not overly stable (some traces all most run away), I can try more Pot 1, but looks sharp, I am still working the traces. The trace "units" are not so important, ch1=200; ch2=500m/div? Notice the white trace is higher than red trace.

Many thanks!

Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2022 16:40 - 01 Sep 2022 17:52 #250934 by new2linux
Todd Thanks! This is Pot1 at 11.25 turns. The motor will squeal (faint) it seems during this trace. Best yet!!Many thanks!Edit: I have traces ever 1/8 turn, from 10.5 to 11.25. The 10.875 to 11.0 are attached. I must be getting close. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Sep 2022 17:52 by new2linux.

More
01 Sep 2022 17:49 #250936 by Todd Zuercher
You probably will want to back off pot1 until it stops squealing, but otherwise it does look much better. The previous trace at 10.75 turns looks nearly as good though.

I'm a little concerned with how the 3rd step/pulse that is cut off at the end of the trace isn't at the same level as the previous pulse of the same sign.

More
01 Sep 2022 18:04 #250937 by Todd Zuercher
PS, If your encoder scales are correct, I believe that the X axis is moving at between 80 and 90ipm during those traces. That is certainly faster than you need it to react for a 0.45v command. I'd suggest that you back off pot3 a few turns, to closer match the scaling of of the Y axis drive.

More
01 Sep 2022 18:21 - 01 Sep 2022 18:24 #250938 by new2linux
Todd, It needs to be below 10.75 for smooth motor w/o noise. The trace may not be as nice as shown. I am having issues trying to duplicate some of the settings, seems a lot of motor noise or something has started. The motor has some noise, it is not full speed when making noise and it is inter-minting, as the trace develops.
If I need to (my piece of mind) make a change in the SW2 settings, what way is the chart is the correct direction? I wonder how much "over lap" in the SW2 table the different settings have?? Like 10% on the very ends over lap or 30% or 0.0?

You ask about the end of trace. When I start trace, I pick the "single" from under Run Mode, I count to 5, then pick start, "enable servo drive" and let it run until a fresh trace is on screen, then turn "off" the enable servo drive button.

When I talk about duplication it seems that if you are incremental in raising the units, it has better chance than picking a setting and try a trace.

Many thanks!

Edit: Just read your Pot 3 message, I am going to try it.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2022 18:24 by new2linux.

More
01 Sep 2022 19:39 #250940 by new2linux
Todd, Thanks! I tried the Pot 3 at your suggestion. Going to 4.0 turns (3 less than the 7.0 mid-point) at Pot3 is a lot, I will need more time to try many values, see what looks best. The issue with the difference in the Pot 4 settings, mid-point is where I started, the trace will be hi or low in referencing the red trace, to center it up, I increase pot 4 this pic is 1.5 turn CW. The attached trace shows the table going to the right (facing machine) the trace looks great, but not so when table goes left. Is this the way to work this issue? Or do I need to compromise, 1 of the directions or split the difference so both directions are not quite perfect?

Many thanks.
Attachments:

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds