Current output from servo amps

More
25 Jan 2023 20:07 #262901 by hunterlong
Hey everyone,
I noticed the NC400 servo drives on my machine have an analog current output. Currently it isn't being used.

Is there anything useful LinuxCNC could do with this signal. My other thought was wiring it up to a light/tone so that when cutting the operator could get some idea of how much force was being applied to the cutter. Like the pitch increases as the current does.

-Hunter
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2023 21:36 #262905 by tommylight
I had those wired to Mesa 7i77 analog inputs and set to show the load on PyVCP panel.
Not much resolution as the output from the drives was 3V for 100% load, but still usable to know when the motors are overloaded.

More
28 Jan 2023 21:42 #263124 by hunterlong
Cool, do you still have your code/config files that showed this on the PyVCP panel?
That seems like a very helpful feature.

Thanks,
-Hunter

More
More
29 Jan 2023 06:20 #263153 by Kevin_Pawlus
It would be cool to stick it to a VU-meter.

More
29 Jan 2023 07:07 #263155 by Gorts Revenge
Presumably, that's a 4-20ma output?
Just scale a resistor so the 20ma puts out the upper voltage limit of the Mesa's analog input and you should be able to do whatever you'd like with it. I don't know what bit the mesa's ADCs kick out but I'd imagine they're pretty good. If it is 4-20 and you want a true linear scale, you'll need to use an OP-amp of some kind but that seems like a lot of work for a nominal improvement. Personally, I'd just scale it to the top end and the heck with the bottom.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds