× Forum Header

Oscillator Stepper Driver Question

More
25 Nov 2011 22:57 #15095 by tgatliff
Hi,

I am a newbie to this type of implementation, so please excuse any ignorance in this post.

How can you build a .stepconf config for an oscillator stepper driver (example: Pacific Scientific 6415)? I am assuming that for this type of stepper driver, that step and direction pulses would be triggering off the external driver oscillator rather than by the motion controller instead. Is this correct, or is there a better way to implement this?? Also, can the EMC2 motion controller use external oscillators?

Thanks,
Thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2011 02:08 #15098 by andypugh
tgatliff wrote:

I am a newbie to this type of implementation, so please excuse any ignorance in this post.
How can you build a .stepconf config for an oscillator stepper driver (example: Pacific Scientific 6415)?

Looking at the manual for the drive, you can't configure it in stepconf.

The drive takes analogue input and direction commands, so as far as EMC2 is concerned, it is a servo drive. Your best bet is to take a servo sample config and modify that.
The feedback from the drive is actual steps, but I am not at all sure how to convert that plus direction into a usable feedback. The EMC2 encoder counters can run in "counter mode" but they only count up, as far as I know.
It might be possible to use two encoders, one with a positive scale and one with a negative scale, connected in HAL such that one or the other sees the step pulses, and then sum them to get an actual position. ( I am not clear if AND or MUX is the best way to achieve this, either is likely to give false edges on direction change)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds