× Forum Header

Motors never reverse

More
10 Jun 2012 22:28 #20809 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Motors never reverse
jblain wrote:

Since parallel pci cards are cheap (10 $) would it just be simplest to find a good 5 volts one and just install it ?
If so, would you have any suggestions as to what card to buy ?

It might be one solution. But if it doesn't work….

For only 10x the price of a cheap parport ($80) you can have a Mesa 5i25, which does so much more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2012 22:35 #20810 by andypugh
Some limited info:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NetMos
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Startech

I think that the Oxford Semiconductor one were OK too.

They nearly all work, but some won't do EPP properly (which isn't a problem for your use)

More
12 Jun 2012 19:04 #20853 by jblain
Replied by jblain on topic Re:Motors never reverse
Ok I have had a look at the mesanet website. If I understand correctly, I should basically get

One mesa 5I85 and one mesa 7I76 connection box with matching cable. I would then be all set to connect my drivers. Right ?

How hard is it to configure hal for this hardware. Is it directly supported ?

It takes up a single pci slot (low profile) but I suppose that 2 db 25 connectors flange come out of the PC back ?

regards

Jacques Blain

More
12 Jun 2012 19:29 #20854 by andypugh
jblain wrote:

Ok I have had a look at the mesanet website. If I understand correctly, I should basically get
One mesa 5I85 and one mesa 7I76 connection box with matching cable. I would then be all set to connect my drivers. Right ?

Assuming you mean 5i25, then yes.

How hard is it to configure hal for this hardware. Is it directly supported ?

It is supported by HAL and the Hostmot2 driver. It is not included properly in the pncconf wizard yet.

It takes up a single pci slot (low profile) but I suppose that 2 db 25 connectors flange come out of the PC back ?

It only comes with one DB25 connector as standard. You probablly don't need the extra one as the single connector gives you 5 axes of step/dir, a spindle drive voltage/switches and 48 IO pins. You can plug one extension board into the 7i76 for another 48 IO pins. Only when you have used up all that would you need to start populating the other 25-pin connector, and for that you would need to source something like
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160576097779
Apart from the extra IO the big advantage of the board is that it takes your maximum step rate from about 50kHz to 10MHz. Admittedly you can't spin the motors that fast, but there is a great reduction in step-rate granularity.

More
12 Jun 2012 19:54 #20855 by jblain
5I25 of course. duh

Now I can find info about it in the emc2 manuals more easely :-)

Ok, I will contact the local distributor to buy one. My step drivers are capable of x64 microstepping so the high step rate can indeed be nice.

Thanks, have a nice day

Jacques

More
14 Jun 2012 19:08 #20931 by jblain
Just in case you might be interested, I finally managed to track down my problem by probing the driver circuit with a scope. As you suspected, my parport is a bit weak on voltage. My stepper drivers are optoisolated and the leds are just too starved current wise to turn on most of the time.

On these drivers, the 5 volt input is set up to go through a 680 Ohm resistance so as to limit the current trough the led. I simply replaced that resistance with a 370 Ohm resistance and now, I get reliable stepping in both direction. I will see if the 50 Khz max steeping rate is ok for my current setup and if not, I will go definately go the 5I25 route.

Regards

Jacques

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds