× Forum Header

Errors with Xylotek controller

More
22 Oct 2012 03:31 #25579 by Sterling
Howdy all~!

I've downloaded and installed the LinuxCNC version 2.5.0 bundle (with Ubuntu 10.04) for a CnC Mill. I am using a Xylotec board with three stepper motors. The situation I am encountering is that Linux CNC software crashes when I attempt to run the config~!

I am new to Linux, and in reading through these forum boards I discovered that performing the CONFIG in the TERMINAL will give a more complete description. I hope that is true! Below are the steps I've taken and the results. I apologize if this is something that has been covered, but I could not discover it when I looked.

Thanx~!

#1) From the TERMINAL I entered: 'stepconf' and then following text is returned as the Configuration window appears:

/usr/bin/stepconf:1220: Warning: g_path_get_dirname: assertion `file_name != NULL' failed
self.xml = gtk.glade.xml_new_from_buffer(doc, len(doc), domain="linuxcnc")
/usr/bin/stepconf:1220: GtkWarning: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion `filename != NULL' failed
/usr/bin/stepconf:1220: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/usr/bin/stepconf:1220: GtkWarning: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

So then, I click my way through the next couple screens and then reach the X-AXIS CONFIGURATION page. When I click on the [Test this axis] button the following displays on the terminal:

/usr/bin/stepconf:2239: GtkWarning: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
widgets.testvel.set_range(0, maxvel)
/usr/bin/stepconf:2240: GtkWarning: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
widgets.testacc.set_range(1, 3600)
/usr/bin/stepconf:2241: GtkWarning: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
widgets.testamplitude.set_range(0, 36)
insmod: error inserting '/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/rtai_hal.ko': -1 Operation not permitted

Meanwhile, the GUI displays a dialogue box entitled:
"Stepconfig encountered an error. The following information my be useful in troubleshooting."
The text reads:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "usr/bin/stepconf", line 2035, in on_jogplus_pressed
self.update_axis_params()

File "usr/bin/stepconf", line 2024, in update_axix_params
halrun.flush()
IOError:[Errno32] Broke pipe

I am confused regarding the 'Operation not permitted' comment as I made it a point to give myself 'Administrator' privileges after install~!

Also, if there is any other information you may need in helping me to diagnose and resolve the issue, please feel free to let me know~!!

Thanx again~!

~S~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2012 08:25 #25583 by ArcEye
Hi

All these errors are from python / gtk / glade, which is what stepconf is written in, nothing to do with your actual setup.
Chris Morley will hopefully be able to get to bottom of them.

I am confused regarding the 'Operation not permitted' comment as I made it a point to give myself 'Administrator' privileges after install~!

insmod gives the most unhelpful and obscure error messages, it is nothing to do with your privileges.
I assume that stepconf loads the rtai system to jog an axis and this is failing.

Start again and go through all the pages filling in the info required, but do not test the axes, that seems to be the main problem.

Does it give you a configuration that runs?

regards

More
22 Oct 2012 11:36 #25591 by BigJohnT
Sterling wrote:

Howdy all~!

insmod: error inserting '/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/rtai_hal.ko': -1 Operation not permitted

Meanwhile, the GUI displays a dialogue box entitled:
"Stepconfig encountered an error. The following information my be useful in troubleshooting."
The text reads:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "usr/bin/stepconf", line 2035, in on_jogplus_pressed
self.update_axis_params()

File "usr/bin/stepconf", line 2024, in update_axix_params
halrun.flush()
IOError:[Errno32] Broke pipe

Also, if there is any other information you may need in helping me to diagnose and resolve the issue, please feel free to let me know~!!

Thanx again~!

~S~

All those warnings can be ignored. The insmod error is a real error.

There is no need to have administrator privileges, you should just turn on the computer and pick stepconf from the CNC menu.

John

More
22 Oct 2012 13:42 #25609 by Sterling
Thank you gentlemen for the quick response....
I will give Mr. ArcEye's advice a run-through today and see what transpires!

Thanx again~!

ArcEye wrote:

Start again and go through all the pages filling in the info required, but do not test the axes, that seems to be the main problem.

Does it give you a configuration that runs?

regards

~S~

More
24 Oct 2012 04:04 #25728 by Sterling
An idea occurred to me, a friend of mine who has more Linux exp than I (I know very little) stated that he tried the emulator (He burned a CD, and used the "Try It" option), and everything worked just fine. he suggested that there may be a hardware problem with my machine. So, I followed his example; I put the CD, booted it, selected the "Try it" option and after a long wait, it came to the desktop with 6 error messages~!!

These are all separate little windows that read similarly. The title of each reads:
The Panel Encountered A Problem While Loading

The individual errors are:
OAFIID:GNOME_IndicatorApplet
OAFIID:GNOME_NotificationAreaApplet
OAFIID:GNOME_Panel_TrashApplet
OAFIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet
OAFIID:GNOME_WorkspaceSwitchesApplet
OAFIID:GNOME_WindowListApplet

and naturally, at the bottom reads:
"Do you want to delete the applet from your application"

Thoughts? Is something funky regarding my PC? I will scrounge around for another CD, re-download and try it again (I'm using a Windows 7 machine for this)

Thanx -

~S~
Attachments:

More
24 Oct 2012 08:23 #25733 by ArcEye
Hi

All these errors you have had so far are nothing to do with Linuxcnc, they are GTK / Gnome - Python / GTK / Glade.

You will have to tell us what your computer is and which Ubuntu version of the Live CD you are using.

Some new computers cannot run Ubuntu 10.04, likewise a lot of older ones cannot.

Your monitor looks like CRT so I am guessing an older computer?

regards

More
24 Oct 2012 11:03 #25736 by BigJohnT
Download the 8.04 LiveCD and try that.

John

More
24 Oct 2012 13:50 #25757 by Sterling
Howdy all...
Okay, I have re-downloaded the UBUNTU #10 package and compared it to the one I downloaded earlier.
The sizes are different - Sooo... I have reinstalled the package, using the new version~!

Now, BEFORE I try to run the CNCLINUX, I installed the Ubuntu updates, and created a 'specs.html' file to be sure my hardware is recognized/approved.

In looking through the specs.html file, I see one area is 'greyed out' and two areas are in red lettering. Although this is my first endeavour into Linux, I'm fairly certain that this means something is awry. I have attached the file (below).

Any thoughts/ideas that I may need to do (the two Display controllers makes me wonder a bit - This MDB does not have an on-board video controller. So... maybe I ought to pull the existing card and use another...?

Thanx -

~S~

More
24 Oct 2012 14:15 #25762 by Sterling
Apparently I cannot upload the file~!

So here is a link for it:
www.sterling-games.com/misc/specs.html

Thanx again...

~S~

More
24 Oct 2012 14:25 #25763 by BigJohnT
The important thing to do after downloading the iso is to check the md5sum to be sure it matches.

Also note that you never want to upgrade the OS, everything else seems to be ok.

John

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds