× Forum Header

Errors with Xylotek controller

More
24 Oct 2012 14:50 - 24 Oct 2012 14:53 #25765 by ArcEye

All these errors you have had so far are nothing to do with Linuxcnc, they are GTK / Gnome - Python / GTK / Glade.

You will have to tell us what your computer is and which Ubuntu version of the Live CD you are using.

Some new computers cannot run Ubuntu 10.04, likewise a lot of older ones cannot.

It is a 2GHz P4 with 512 MB of RAM.

Download the 8.04 based Live CD, that should run, it is probably too old for 10.04 hence all the problems you have had.

regards
Last edit: 24 Oct 2012 14:53 by ArcEye.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2012 01:18 #25784 by Sterling
Thanx for the feedback guys~!
I'll give Ver #8 a try.

I don't know how to check the MD5SUM, but will research it~!

~S~

More
25 Oct 2012 17:59 #25791 by BigJohnT
In the download section of the Getting Started manual is complete instructions.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/Getting_EM...ml#_getting_linuxcnc

John

More
26 Oct 2012 04:32 #25828 by Sterling
Whoo-hoo~!! Linux #8 worked~!!! The 'test' did *not* crash~!!

Thanx guys!!

The motors hum, but do not turn. I think there was a setting somewhere on the circuit board for that. I'll be updating the software and reading up on how to get the motors to turn!

Thanx muchly~!

~S~

More
14 Jan 2013 05:40 #28661 by Sterling
Okay, that old PC I built out of random spare parts has now been scrapped. I felt it would be best to use Linux 10.04, so I picked up a refurbished machine for $100.00. It came pre installed w/Win7, so I downloaded the LinuxCnC 10.04 and made the machine a 'dual boot'.

OS installed, & updated, CnC Configured, jitter is set, and the spindles move just swell.
So - everything seems to work okay, except for the fact that it will not run any of the 'examples', and oddly enough, I also noticed that the 3D views are showing the 'spindle-starting-position' in the Bottom Left corner...I moved the spindle via the keyboard, but as I'm sure you all know...that didn't work ;)

I've been going over the documentation (including the Turtorials that John T, wrote, and what I've learned thus far is that I am totally over my head~! I'm trying to teach myself/understand the principles of Millwork, the G-codes, and Linux is overwhelming and I'm lost.
Any advice to point me in the proper direction for this?? Is there a 'first-time walkthrough' perhaps...?
(I apologize if this is an embarassingly simply question, but I think I've got myself so scattered, nothing is making sense...

Thanx in advance~!

More
14 Jan 2013 16:41 - 14 Jan 2013 16:42 #28675 by cncbasher
I don't know of any full tutorials from beginning to end , however the principle is not difficult , although it will take time for you to understand everything .
but start at the beginning and work through everything , rather than try to understand everything in one read .

lets take one step at a time , and understand your machine and linuxcnc first

read the documentation about Homing and Limits ,
before linuxcnc will run correctly it needs to know where the machine will place the position X0 & Y0 ( Z0 is usualy at the top of the milling colum )
this is called Homing . moving the machine by the use of the keyboard is called Jogging .

once the machine is homed then the examples should run , if your machine is configured correctly , F2 is your on off control for linuxcnc

it would be a good idea to let us know what type of mill you have , have you fitted limit switches and or homing switches & ESTOP ?
any on screen warnings

post your ini and hal file as attachments , and we can check your setup

unfortunately i'm in the UK . so time differences could be a problem .

what are your ideas or projects you have in mind for your mill to achieve
Last edit: 14 Jan 2013 16:42 by cncbasher.

More
14 Jan 2013 19:58 #28681 by BigJohnT
If you have not read the Important User Concepts chapter I might suggest that.

I suggest if you have not found it yet in my tutorials the G code tutorial .

Being new to everything is a learning curve for sure. Try and break it down into manageable chunks. I assume you can't run the examples because you have not touched off so that the G code is within your soft limits. If any of the distance numbers on the back plot are in a red box that means the program goes outside the soft limits.

What is the exact error you get when you try to run?

John

More
27 Jan 2013 09:26 #29178 by Sterling
Howdy Gentlemen~!
I want to thank you all for offering your services, and I will call upon them again (I am sure). I ended up calling upon the services of a friend of mine who is mechanically inclined and knows a little bit about Linux.
After several hours, (and a few errors) we managed to get it working~!

I will be looking into the CAD / CAM software area next and hope fully I can find what I need to xfer some of the designs I have made into working art.

Thanx again~!

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds