× Forum Header

figuring out stepConf from mach3

More
12 Apr 2010 13:05 #2596 by forSaleSticker
Hi -

I am having a little trouble getting EMC's Axis Configuration correct.
I am using stepConf and when I get to the part about Axis Configuration I don't know some of the answers.

I do have a configuration in MAch3 that looks like the attached image below.

I am not sure what to put for microstepping. The manufacturer of my machine (sidewinder) said they configure the steppers to be 1/8th stepping when using mach 3 - but when I put 8 in the 'driver microstepping' box I get very wierd results.

My steppers (Xylotex KL23H276-28-4B) are 1.8 degree - so I put 200 in the 'Motor Steps Per Revolution' box.

I need some help figuring out how to get the correct number in 'LeadScrew Pitch', 'Driver Microstepping', and and velocity and Acceleration.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2010 00:48 #2598 by cmorley
200 revs steps per rev is most like right for motor unless they are very unusual.
1/8th stepping would be 8 microsteps. when you say wierd movement what do you mean?
I see on the Mach screen something about 'steps per -3200' , if this is steps per revlution and is right then you are using 1/16 microstepping.
Do you have any gearing between the motor and the lead screw?
leadscrew pitch is just that - the pitch of the lead screw. is it metric or imperial?
what is the TPI or pitch?
or if you rotate the leadscrew 1 complete turn how far does the table move?
According to the Mach screw Acceleration is 6 and velocity is 120 - start from there and test.

Give us a little more info of your parts and describe the results of movement some more.
If the motor steps per rev, microstepping,leadscrew and or pulley teeth are wrong the movement should be fine just the position will be wrong.
if acceleration and or max velocity are way out you will lose steps or it won't move at all.

More
13 Apr 2010 09:47 #2600 by Rick G
I believe the 3200 steps per in Mach is steps per inch if you are using inch measurements. In that case and that is right just work out the combination that results in EMC Axis scale to equal 3200. As pointed out start with slow speed and acceleration and work up.

Rick G

More
13 Apr 2010 13:56 #2603 by forSaleSticker
Thanks this has been most helpful.
You are right about 200 steps on my motors.
I put 8 in microstepping.
The motors are connected to the shaft woth a coupler so I put 1:1 as my ratio
It takes 2 turns to travel 1 inch so I put 2 in leadscrew pitch.

Thanks

More
13 Apr 2010 14:01 #2604 by forSaleSticker
Thanks. I seemed to get funny results unless I put the velocity very slow (4 in / sec)
The configuration in mach 3 looks like it was set to be much faster - but I get good strong results (not missing steps) at this low speed.

Is there something else I should check in my configuration that might be limiting my velocity?

Thanks

More
14 Apr 2010 06:00 #2606 by cmorley
Well on closer inspection Mach has the speed set at 120 inches per MINUTE.
You have it set to 4 inches per SECOND which is 240 inches a minute which is pretty fast for small steppers.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds