× Forum Header

StepConf Axis Test not working

More
16 Aug 2013 09:33 #37727 by abrambleninja
Hello,

I was configuring StepConf for my CNC machine, and I ran into a tiny bit of trouble. First, I just changed the minimum I needed to in order to get the motors to work (with outputs and things), and I have that figured out now. So, I did that, and the machine works for manual control. However, I then went back to try and configure it to work better (and tell it how many rotations were 1inch and so on). So, I'm on the X Axis Configuration page, and I haven't changed anything from the defaults. I clicked on Test This Axis to figure out some of the things I need to change for it to work better, and messed with all the settings there, and I just can't get it to move at all. I went to the LinuxCNC documents, and followed the instructions there for the "Test This Axis" pane, and I still can't get it to move.
To quote the documentation for this,

If the machine doesn't move, stalls, or loses steps no matter how low you turn Velocity, verify the following:

Correct step waveform timings
Correct pinout, including "Invert" on step pins
Correct, well-shielded cabling
Physical problems with the motor, motor coupling, leadscrew, etc.

The thing is, my machine works under manual control, just not in the stepconf program. I can't figure out why this is.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2013 14:01 #37729 by Rick G
Does your driver use an amp enable signal and or charge pump? Have you tried inverting the signal?

Rick G

More
16 Aug 2013 14:13 #37730 by cncbasher
test axis is simplified for minimal use , and has no control of IO so if you have Amplifier enable connected it will not work , so while using stepconf disconnect Amplifier enable .

More
17 Aug 2013 01:25 #37761 by abrambleninja

Does your driver use an amp enable signal and or charge pump? Have you tried inverting the signal?

if you have Amplifier enable connected it will not work , so while using stepconf disconnect Amplifier enable .

My driver board doesn't use either amplifier enable or charge pump. Here's the driver documentation. I can post my stepconf/HAL files if you want.

More
17 Aug 2013 02:16 #37765 by cncbasher
the tb6560's are well documented on the forum , enable x,y,z is amplifier enable in Linuxcnc ,
do you have any errors popping up ?

stepconf is realy just for initial setting up , after that it's best to hand edit the files .

post your hal and ini files as attachments is a good idea if your stuck
The following user(s) said Thank You: abrambleninja

More
17 Aug 2013 02:55 - 17 Aug 2013 02:56 #37767 by abrambleninja

the tb6560's are well documented on the forum , enable x,y,z is amplifier enable in Linuxcnc

Oh, I see. I added some things to custom.hal to get enable x,y, and z. I didn't realise that it was amplifier enable.

do you have any errors popping up ?

Not in either the test axis window or the LinuxCNC main page.

stepconf is realy just for initial setting up , after that it's best to hand edit the files .

Oh, ok. I guess I have to figure out what they all mean.

post your hal and ini files as attachments is a good idea if your stuck

I attached a ZIP of the entire directory (along with the .stepconf file) because I'm not sure how much to post.

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot a word.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2013 02:56 by abrambleninja.

More
17 Aug 2013 15:17 - 17 Aug 2013 15:20 #37777 by cncbasher
in your INI file
under [TRAJ] you have a low default Velocity of 0.15 change it to say 5.0
you'll probably end up having the velocity and acceleration higher , once you start tuning ..

remember when running stepconf it will change settings when you save the file .
i usualy make a dummy config to tune with and then transfer the settings to a working config manualy or when adding options , that way you dont loose any previous .

to disable the enables in your custom file while you use stepconf ..
just place a # at the beginning of the lines , then uncomment when your finished with stepconf .
Last edit: 17 Aug 2013 15:20 by cncbasher.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds