× Forum Header

High frequency noise from motors

More
01 Nov 2013 20:49 #40485 by ATom_1977
Hello everybody!

I'm new here and I have one problem with configuration of motors :(
I've got Chinese controller I use every day in Mach3 without any problems, so driver and motors are ok.

When I do the axis tests in StepConf my machines moves without any problems :), travel distance requested and speed are ok.

When I'm trying to switch on machine in LinuxCNC motors are getting very noisy and has VERY high frequency noise :pinch:

What am I doing wrong???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2013 17:39 - 02 Nov 2013 17:40 #40504 by Rick G
If you have a mach configuration that works you might ask John to convert it for you to a Linuxcnc config.
You may also want to post the configuration files you are using that are "noisy" for us to check.
More info on the driver would be helpful, does it use a "charge pump" or an amp enable?
I assume you ran the latency test with success.

When I'm trying to switch on machine in LinuxCNC motors are getting very noisy and has VERY high frequency noise

Do the motors move as expected?

Rick G
Last edit: 02 Nov 2013 17:40 by Rick G.

More
02 Nov 2013 19:05 #40511 by ArcEye
Hi

I have had noise from steppers before when using a low power driver up to its maximum current and with micro-stepping set.

Try setting micro-stepping off or to its lowest and see if the noise diminishes or disappears.

This may be particularly applicable if the motors are being moved to interpolated micro-steps.
An example might be 10x or 5x which does not really match any of the rotor / magnet index points, just makes calculation easy.

I could jog the axis making noise at 2x micro-stepping on a MPG and it would be silent and noisy alternately, the silent coinciding with the full step position.
The person who made the boards told me that it was a 'feature' of that stepper chip and did not effect performance.

I replaced the boards with Leadshine drivers of higher max Amperage and the steppers ran completely silently

regards

More
02 Nov 2013 19:29 #40512 by ATom_1977
The microsteps are off on the board. Motors are working in full step mode.

I used all electrical and board settings the same like in Mach3, so power and voltage are ok.

All tests in StepConf passed successfully and machine is moving (and sounds) ok during the test (3 axes).
I can change speed, acceleration, distance and machine is moving without any problems.

Router in my machine has manual start switch, so other pins are set to "not in use", just motors steps, direction and power are configured.

When I close StepConf and start LinuxCNC and set machine to "on" motors are getting very noisy and machine do not move at all.
If I'm trying to move it using arrows on the keyboard motors just change the sound a bit but even didn't turn a hair :(

More
02 Nov 2013 20:46 #40513 by cncbasher
what interface or controller are you using ?
also post your hal and ini file as attachment ... sounds as if the configuration is incorrect , too high acceleration perhaps or max velocity
is this a chinese TB6560 type ? , see many posts in the forum if it is , and are you using amplifier enable ?

More
02 Nov 2013 23:48 #40514 by ArcEye

When I'm trying to switch on machine in LinuxCNC motors are getting very noisy and has VERY high frequency noise :pinch:

When I close StepConf and start LinuxCNC and set machine to "on" motors are getting very noisy and machine do not move at all.

OK, I read the first post as motors being noisy, not that they were noisy AND did not move.

If it works in stepconf and not with the config, invariably as cncbasher says, there is an enable missing, either charge pump or amplifier enable.

If we knew what the boards were would be able to help more

regards

More
03 Nov 2013 02:39 #40516 by Rick G
Back to the earlier post...

You may also want to post the configuration files you are using that are "noisy" for us to check.
More info on the driver would be helpful, does it use a "charge pump" or an amp enable?
I assume you ran the latency test with success.

One big difference between Stepconf and running linuxcnc is the charge pump / enable settings.
However it seems strange that the motors are noisy if the amp enable / charge pump was wrong.
Are you sure you are running the last configuration that you made with Stepconf?

Again posting the files and info on the hardware would be most helpful.

Rick G

More
04 Nov 2013 06:45 #40527 by andypugh
I wonder if an accidental misconfiguration is sending a charge-pump strobe to the enable pins?

More
04 Nov 2013 18:56 #40535 by Rick G

I wonder if an accidental misconfiguration is sending a charge-pump strobe to the enable pins?

That would make sense.

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds