× Forum Header

Broken pipe - again on IBM X30 1.2GHz PIII 364 RAM

More
11 Dec 2013 00:46 #41472 by bmajkut
Hi,
i know that there are many topics about this problem but i saw all of them and i didnt find solution. I bought IBM X30 with Pentium III 1.2 GHz and 364 MB Ram especially for my new cnc. I am using LinuxCNC 2.5.0 and i am trying to configure my driver( 3-axis tb6560 blue driver) but when i try to move X-axis i get error about "broken pipe".
When i type in terminal "halrun -U" i get many Errors like "rtapi init failed". When i type "uname -r" i get "2.6.32-122-rtai". I was using LinuxCNC with this configuration on my desktop PC and it worked fine now on my Notebook it doesnt work.
Many thanks for every help from you :)
BR from Poland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2013 00:58 #41476 by ArcEye
Hi

I bought IBM X30 with Pentium III 1.2 GHz and 364 MB Ram
When i type "uname -r" i get "2.6.32-122-rtai"

That means you are trying to run Ubuntu 10.04 based Live CD install on a PIII, it is way too heavy and built for multi-core processors.

For a start I would remove 10.04 and install from the 8.04 Live CD, it will run better, albeit not brilliantly, it is a low power machine.

....but when i try to move X-axis i get error about "broken pipe".

Need to know exactly what you were doing, from where and exactly what the error says.

The 'broken pipe' error normally comes up when trying to do stuff via the stepconf python interface.

When i type in terminal "halrun -U" i get many Errors like "rtapi init failed".

If the rt module loading screws up, often you can only reboot to get rid of orphaned modules that will not unload

regards

More
11 Dec 2013 22:29 #41517 by cmorley
When you get the broken pipe error, there should be more info in the terminal about the real reason.
Usually a HAL name is wrong or such.

If you can post that error, we can pinpoint it more.
Thanks

Chris M

More
12 Dec 2013 02:50 #41522 by bmajkut
When i ran stepconf in terminal i get:
"insmod: error inserting '/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/rtai_hal.ko' : -1
operation not permited

I dont know what that means.
I will try to install linuxcnc with older version of ubuntu.

More
13 Dec 2013 01:29 #41554 by andypugh

"insmod: error inserting '/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/rtai_hal.ko' : -1
operation not permited

Is this a liveCD install, or did you build from source?

That sounds like a permissions error, but might not be,

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds