× Forum Header

Stepconf.py dependencies?

More
22 Dec 2013 08:22 - 22 Dec 2013 08:23 #41918 by birchy
I have installed linuxcnc on Debian Wheezy using the sources from Arceye's website HERE but have not yet configured linuxcnc for my 4 axis milling machine. I am able to start the rip-environment and linuxcnc, however I'm not able to start the stepconf wizard. I have located stepconf.py but it won't run as it appears to require python 2.4 and Wheezy has 2.6 and 2.7 installed by default.

AFAIK, a python 2.4 script should run in a newer version? The script fails with import errors. Can someone please give me a list of which packages I need to install?

Thanks.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2013 08:23 by birchy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2013 10:53 #41920 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Stepconf.py dependencies?
could you post the errors?

More
22 Dec 2013 18:28 #41924 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Stepconf.py dependencies?

I have installed linuxcnc on Debian Wheezy using the sources from Arceye's website HERE but have not yet configured linuxcnc for my 4 axis milling machine. I am able to start the rip-environment and linuxcnc, however I'm not able to start the stepconf wizard. I have located stepconf.py but it won't run as it appears to require python 2.4 and Wheezy has 2.6 and 2.7 installed by default.

Did you use the Linuxcnc sources I hosted or just the kernel and realtime? I am running a build of them now on Wheezy and stepconf works.

More
22 Dec 2013 21:20 #41927 by birchy
Replied by birchy on topic Stepconf.py dependencies?
Yeah, I used all of your sources Arceye. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I forget the exact import errors but it starts off with gtk.glade (so I installed python-glade2), then there was another related to Gnome, so I installed whatever python module Google suggested and finally it was unable to import hal. Was late and couldn't be bothered to investigate that one, so posted here instead.

Could it be because I used Debian Wheezy 7.2 with XFCE desktop as the base?

More
23 Dec 2013 00:55 #41930 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Stepconf.py dependencies?
Hi

I should think it must be something you have done, because even Ubuntu 10.04 did not use python 2.4, it was on 2.6

I can only suspect you have fetched something which required an older version of python and in the process screwed up
Wheezy 7.1 seems to be a mix of 2.6 and 2.7 so can't imagine anything like XFCE (even if it uses python) would require 2.4

You will have to run it and capture the errors.
If you don't have the right libs installed, you should get an error at the ./configure stage for linuxcnc

regards

More
23 Dec 2013 01:01 - 23 Dec 2013 06:35 #41931 by birchy
Even the latest source still has the Python 2.4 shebang?

git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a...fs/heads/v2.5_branch

EDIT:
Attached is my config.log. It appears that ./configure ran OK and compiled against my default python 2.7. I only have 2.6 and 2.7 installed (the defaults that came with Debian Wheezy). I've only used a default Ubuntu linuxcnc CD previously, which had stepconf wizard as a shortcut...perhaps I am simply trying to launch stepconf the WRONG way? After starting the rip-environment, I then type 'stepconf' (or 'linuxcnc' if I want that...) in the terminal. It starts but returns import errors...the first one being:
import gtk.glade
ImportError: No module named glade

It's obvious that python glade is not installed but I am slightly confused because because I installed ALL the dependencies in Arceye's tutorial and ,/configure didn't complain about missing any dependencies?

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 23 Dec 2013 06:35 by birchy.

More
23 Dec 2013 07:30 #41937 by birchy
OK, I worked through this one step at a time. Installing python-glade2 and python-gnome2 fixed the import errors. I'll add these to my list of dependencies for future installs. I assume these were missing as default XFCE didn't need them?

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds