× Forum Header

Steppers work in StepConf but not in LinuxCNC

More
25 May 2014 02:12 #47292 by buffington
I was able to tune my steppers in StepConf without issue, but when trying to do any operation where I'd expect the steppers to move in LinuxCNC I get no movement.

My setup uses a 5 axis parallel port breakout board connected to 3 TB6560 drivers (I'm only using 3 of the 5 axises for now). I have a single emergency stop button hooked up and have verified that its works (the Estop in LinuxCNC button toggles as expected).

Am I missing something fundamental?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2014 20:11 #47308 by ArcEye
Hi

The TB6560 boards are troublesome, mostly because there are lots of different versions, some with different pin outs.

Look at the enable pins, they must be powered before anything will move and are a common source of problems.

If you search the forum with TB6560, you will find several threads, some with similar problems.

In at least one case the enable signal had to be inverted to work

regards

More
27 May 2014 03:44 #47369 by buffington
I solved the problem.

I appears that while in StepConf, the steppers are somehow told to turn on even when the "Amplifier Enable" pins haven't yet been set.

When using Axis, the steppers won't move unless the enable signal is sent - if the pins to do that haven't been assigned then they'll remain off despite best efforts to turn them on while in Axis.

I combed through my config and triple checked my wiring a few times before I realized that the Amplifier Enable pin wasn't assigned properly. Once assigned, everything worked.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds