× Forum Header

CNC Linux not sending signal to parallel port?

More
24 Jul 2015 10:35 #60875 by binaryblue
I just got a new computer to use to control my CNC machine. It is supposed to take the place of a much older machine I had which is extremely old and slow. The new computer does not come with a parallel port so I bought a PCI card with 2 parallel ports, a Rosewill RC-304.

However, when I loaded the configuration I had from the old machine onto the new one to get the pinouts, it does not work. When I plug a ribbon from either of the computer's parallel ports to the TB6560 controller attached to the machine, it makes the board hum at a higher pitch, meaning that it does detect the parallel ports. However, using the test axis function in the stepconf wizard does nothing.

What exactly is going on, and how would I fix it? Sorry if this question has been asked before. I really don't know enough about linux to know what commands to run to find the problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2015 12:35 - 27 Jul 2015 20:29 #60877 by binaryblue
I managed to resolve the problem myself.

Turns out that the address of the serial port needed to be changed. I used the ppdiag script from www.vdwalle.com/Norte/Second%20Parport.htm as root to find the address and changed that in the stepconf wizard.

The machine is back up and running now. I noticed that the machine did not respond the first time I saved the configuration file, but when I went through the stepconf wizard again to "modify" the existing configuration (but just went though to the last screen), it worked again. Interestingly the first time I went though the stepconf wizard, the machine was consistently able to move its axes when I pressed the "Test Axis" button.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2015 20:29 by andypugh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds