× Forum Header

XYUV hotwire configuration

More
15 Aug 2015 20:23 - 15 Aug 2015 20:25 #61411 by fannlow
Hi guys,
am trying to build a hotwire machine.

I see alot of chats on this forum about the kinematics, i would like to know what is it about and how we can make our own?

from what I saw online, both google and this forum, the axis

X - usually refer to the left side of the machine (moving front and back)
Y - right side of the machine (movement front and rear)
U - Above X axis (moving up and down)
V - above Y axis (moving up and down)

My questions is, if we use the normal stepConf to setup a 3axis machine, then we change the mill.ini file to become 4 axis XYUV machine, what else do I need in order to run this correctly?

also, what to change for the gui to display correctly?
and what cadcam programs are there on this forum is using?
i did check out devFoam and it seems pretty easy to work with.

jz need more reading and information as I am already in the mid of it =)

Is there some examples I can see online or from this forum?
please point out to me.

thanks! =)
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Aug 2015 20:25 by fannlow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2015 03:04 #61420 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic XYUV hotwire configuration

My questions is, if we use the normal stepConf to setup a 3axis machine, then we change the mill.ini file to become 4 axis XYUV machine, what else do I need in order to run this correctly?

First have a look at the simulator config in sim/axis/axis-foam to see the neat foam-cutter preview mode.
Then have a look at the INI file to see how it differs from a normal 3-axis config.
One surprise might be that LinuxCNC sees it as an 8-axis machine, because the "last" axis is V. (XYZABCUVW)

More
17 Aug 2015 13:29 - 17 Aug 2015 13:30 #61480 by bernie_nor
Hi!

X and Y are the axis for one end of the wire. U and V are the two axis on the other end.

I think the latest 2.7 pre version also has foam cutter setup support in Step conf. I've tested it and it works like a charm on my foamcutter (replacing the frensh software).

Cheers!
Bernie
Last edit: 17 Aug 2015 13:30 by bernie_nor. Reason: Typo

More
17 Aug 2015 18:41 #61483 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic XYUV hotwire configuration
Stepconf can't create a foam machine however in 2.7 there is an Axis simulator for a foam machine.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: fannlow

More
17 Aug 2015 19:02 #61484 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic XYUV hotwire configuration

Stepconf can't create a foam machine however in 2.7 there is an Axis simulator for a foam machine.

The simulator config is in 2.6 too.

More
19 Aug 2015 02:28 - 19 Aug 2015 02:31 #61530 by bernie_nor

It is in the master source. Just need to compile from the sources. I haven't checked 2.7, I just assumed the FOAM option was included there as well.

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...epconf-now-in-master

Cheers!
Bernie
Last edit: 19 Aug 2015 02:31 by bernie_nor. Reason: Fixed typo in link

More
01 Sep 2015 01:53 #61954 by fannlow
Replied by fannlow on topic XYUV hotwire configuration
Hi Sir,
when you say this the below:

"Hi!

X and Y are the axis for one end of the wire. U and V are the two axis on the other end.

I think the latest 2.7 pre version also has foam cutter setup support in Step conf. I've tested it and it works like a charm on my foamcutter (replacing the frensh software).

Cheers!
Bernie"

do you mean that

X is front and back
Y is above X (going up and down)

U is front and back (opposite of X)
V is above U (going up and down)

==========

another question I have in mind while running through the .ini and .hal files.

I have set the HOME for these axis to be

X & U (far end is Home, 0)
Y & V (top end is Home, 0)

hence, with X & U, coming towards me is (+) axis, while Y & V (going down is (-) axis)

let me know this is correct?

- then my previously uploaded image of the XYUV is incorrect or are they versions of this?
- from the cad I am looking at (currently is devFoamPro demo) I see that X is horizontal, Y is vertical, U is horizontal, V is vertical, but this can be changed?

==========

Another question is, if I have already set HOME for them using a limit sensor place as afore mention, then if I need to set another "start" point for G1 to use so I can start cutting, where do I go to set this "start" location?

Because each cut is different, I hope I can set a "start" point for my software to use, while the HOME position is already set.
or do I have to use offset?

==========

Last question, regarding the GUI, how do I setup the view so that it is showing the correct "view" of the machine with regards to the setup of XYUV as above?

==========

thanks sir!

More
01 Sep 2015 16:51 #61983 by cncbasher
i would say that this is correct , as you have it

X & U (far end is Home, 0)
Y & V (top end is Home, 0)

hence, with X & U, coming towards me is (+) axis, while Y & V (going down is (-) axis)

home as you have is is not home or 0.0 as far as cutting is concerned , this is shall we say machine 0.0

you can move the axis to any point , say just 5mm from leading edge and then you can use the touch off button in axis
to set the 0.0 point for your gcode cut . say set X & U to -6.0mm at this point , this will then cut into the block and your 0.0 will be 1mm inside the foam
i set Y & V to 0 at a height in the foam being the centreline .
i set the chord of the wing in the x , and cut from the trailing edge all the way round back to the trailing edge this gives a good round leading edge needing little cleanup

hope it helps

More
02 Sep 2015 00:47 #62017 by fannlow
Replied by fannlow on topic XYUV hotwire configuration
so Home is technically a machine home location.

this means, it is also used by G1 ya?

and using touch-off to indicate a starting point, my G-code uses G54 as a starting point instead.
Let me know if I understand this correctly?

==========

For Home, I use only 4 physical limit switches for X,Y,U,V = 0 only, then use soft limits to limit them from my machine 0 point.
Would like to know if this has any undesirable results?

==========

I see some on youTube that on some machine, they can just do a HOME_SEARCH_VEL or something like that and then a HOME_LATCH_VEL...
then just by clicking on HOME button, the machines kinda run in sequence for Z home, Y home, X home and after homing, each axis will move a little away from the sensor and set that as a machine 0 point.

is there anyway I can learn to do this as well?
will save a lot of time for something like a hotwire machine, where after some cuts, we need to make the machine go back to the machine HOME or 0 position while we take out the cut block and replace it with a new big block.

thanks =)

More
02 Sep 2015 01:11 #62021 by cncbasher
auto home is already part of your config ?, or it should be , if using axis there is a home button to the left of touch off
that is your auto home , that will move the axis to your switch , once triggered it will move back untill off , then move slowly to touch the switch

see your ini file
under each axis you should have
HOME_OFFSET = 0.000000
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 25.0
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 15.0
HOME_FINAL_VEL = 10.0
HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
HOME_SEQUENCE = 0

if not add these and adjust values
home sequence will be the order of axis to home so if you have x=0 y=1 z=2
then it will home z then y then x , or change all to 0 and all axis will move at the same time
beware this is not always the best . but for a foam cutter it should be fine

once you touch off this then becomes your start point for gcode , if you for example set it a 0.0
if you change blocks of foam , just touch off again adjusting to 0.0 or whatever you need it to be

so long as you do not switch off the machine these values will be held
you can call touch off your home for g1 etc
the values that are shown before touch off , are really just numbers and bear no relationship to gcode
is the easy answer

4 switches and using soft limits ( your red bounding box ) is fine , and is far better than switches
as you should never touch the switches , apart from startup to initialize home as 0.0

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds